Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just got a huge shock of info!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM
  • 0 Replies
  • 409 Total Views

So I am new to this group but I needed to get something out there.  My mother died from breast cancer almost 15 years ago.  I was 18 when she died. She was diagnosed at the age of 39 and passed away 2 weeks before her 41st birthday. Since then I have always been very proactive in my health and the health of all the women that are family or friends. I remind them to check monthly and to get yearly exams or even mammograms if they are needed.  Well today I just found out that my mother knew something was wrong way before she was diagnosed. She had told her brother and his wife (my uncle and aunt) that she thought there was something a little off or wrong years before she went to a doctor. Just so you know my mother was extremely stubborn and had no prior family with breast cancer or any knowledge about early detection, or anything else that is so common knowledge now-a-days.  Anyways I found out that she may have know for as many as 7 years before going to a doctor. SEVEN YEARS!!!!!!! That would have made my mother 32 when she first felt "off".  I am almost 33 and this freaks me out. She was a stubborn woman with no medical insurance at the time and already had financial problems so I know why she waited but I don't know why she never told me.  Thankfully I get regular check-ups and have even gotten the HALO pap test done once so far but still....SEVEN YEARS! I am shocked!  Sorry I rambled on for so long, and thanks if you have even gotten this far.

In memory of my mother, Valinda Ann......July 26, 1956-July 10, 1997

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)