Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

C-Section Question?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:51 PM
  • 22 Replies
  • 802 Total Views

I know I have to have  a C_Section with this baby! My last wast 10lbs and 1oz and he got stuck! . Wyatt fine and healthy but I am due in Feb.this baby is measuring big also and I am scared! What do they do? What does it feel like? Is it safe compared to a vag. delivery? Do you hurt real bad after wards? Does the insision heal fast? I talked with the doctor and well I just wanted to hear some of your thoughs and stories! Thank you for answering me! I am just in need of so comforting women! Thank you!

pregnancy week by week

Mom to Tyler,15 and Wyatt,1 and excited for our newest addition!
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Laniecakes
by Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:42 PM

After 16 hours of labor I had to have a C-section with my first was was 10 lbs 8 oz... I'm so there with you. This one is due february 17th now.. I'm between trying for a VBAC or just going for another C-section right now.. I'm leaning more toward the C-section... What they did with me was they gave me a nacotic pain killer right before i went into surgury to try to calm me down because I was freaking out about it ( I had wanted to have an all natural birthing thing in a bath tub... at home... didn't work out). I think that pain killer made it not hurt for the shot they gave me in my back.. Within about a minute I could not feel or move anything below my chest.... They put the curtain up and brought my husband in and they told me to tell me when i felt something... 4 minutes later I asked them when they planned on starting and they told me they had already made the incision and were just about to pull my son out.... The only thing I felt for that whole ordeal was a little tugging  on my rib cage when they were pulling him out... It was completely painless for me... I gained feeling back in my body a few hours later... My son never got taken out of my sight and I wanted to breastfeed him so my husband helpped to hold him up to my chest so he could feed before i got all my feeling back. The really only seriously unpleasant thing about it is having to get a catherder... that really really really hurts and they should have given me the pain medicine before they did that to me but I handled the 16 hours of labor so well that they thought i was made of steal or something haha.. After the C-section they try to keep you on pain medicine for about 2 days pretty constantly... They usually staple your stomach and it does hurt if you BF the baby and aren't holding them the right way and they hit a stitch... When you get home it is ruff because you are really on your own with the baby and can't ask the nurse to check on your stitches every few hours ( I was a little nuts about making sure they were not infected)... They give you pain medicine to go home with but only a  really low dose if you are BFing jsut to kinda take the edge off.. It wasn't that bad at all.. Definately nothing ot be afraid of... I am dreading that catheder again though, but hey in my mind I'd rather have that than have to get my privates all stitched up after delivering a ginormous baby...

Jennasmom08
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:54 PM

I had a scheduled c-section with my first (placenta previa) and am having a repeat c-section this time. Mine really wasn't bad, I went into the OR at 11:30a, she was born at 11:58a. I had a spinal block and all I felt was some pressure as they pulled her out. I was in recovery for 3 hours (until I could move my body. On pain killers for a week, home on the 4th day. They had stapled me up, but removed them before I left the hospital. I am nervous to do it again, but that is only because my daughter loves to sit on my lap/belly and I know it will be hard to keep her off. Good Luck!

OliviasMomme
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:50 PM

I am going to be having a repeat c-section also.  I was in labor for 11 hours but with my very very narrow pelvis my 6 lb baby got stuck, she wedged her head in side ways.  Anyway, the c-section part for me was not bad at all.  You feel alot of tugging but no pain.  Afterwards though for me kindof sucked.  The epi that they gave me wore off very fast so I got most of my feeling back while I was stil in recovery, about 15 minutes after they closed me up.  Once they got more drugs in me though I was fine.  I was in the hospital for 4 days.  Its hard to get in and out of bed and of course if you move wrong way it will hurt but for the most part its ok.  They removed the staples the day I left the hospital and within  a week and a half I had a perfectly normal looking scar.  Keep it clean and dry.  I would actually blow dry it on cool when I got out of the shower to make sure it was completly dry.  Within a month I was back to normal and you would never known I had a c-section.

I am nervous this time though, not of the c-section but of recovery.  My daughter will only be 20 months old and is very much a mommas girl.  I am just scared I will end up hurting myself.

LilypieLilypie
perfectxsinx
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 10:40 AM

I dont think anyone is going to like my response, but i feel you deserve it honestly!

So you had a c-section with last baby?

Just because your last baby was big doesnt mean this baby is going to be big. My daughter was 5 lbs 14 oz....my son was 7 lbs...i really think this baby is going to be bigger...but thats just how i feel, plus i have been eating really heatlhy stuff!

ok so with that being said, each baby weighs different!

Ok on with it now, i bet you were in the semi reclined pushing state when baby got stuck? When women are in this postion it is not good for the pelvis, it actually compromises pelvis to open to its full capacity to allow baby to come out properly, and then baby gets stuck! Now if they allowed you to squat (which really opens pelvis) and baby still got stuck, then i would understand. walking, sitting on birth ball, squating, standing against spouse in labor all help open pelvis! laying down flat, or semi reline position DOES NOT HELP PELVIS OR BABY, it actually increases your chances of having a posterior baby (sunny side up, back labor) than an anterior (best postion for birth, makes dilate faster)

What do they do in a c/s? they burn a straight line around your pubic line to make sure its straight! you will smell your skin burning. but of course they give you analgesic and stuff. But i have heard stories from friends where the medicines wear off MID OPERATION!! in this case they will knock you out! i have never seen a c/s except on tv so i dont really know what else they do, all i know its very very un-natural!

A vaginal delivery even AFTER A C/S is much safer than a c/s. but your dr is sure to tell you different!

www.VBAC.com

is a really good resource and i think you should check it out!

Ok your dr may lie to you and tell you a VBAC is dangerous, but its not. they will try and scare you and say that your uterus might rupture, but this is very very rare! BUT your uterus has an increased chance of rupturing if your dr gives you cytotec (to dilate your cervix) or pitocin to speed up your labor...then you will be in the OR with a C/S!

I know many many many women who have successfully VBAC'd (vaginal birth after cesearean)! and many of these women do it at home by themselves (unassisted VBAC) no dr, or nurse or midwife..just who helped them conceive the baby (daddy)

Do you hurt real bad afterwards? From what i hear yes you do! sometimes people heal faster than others, but you are garanteed to need extra help because you wont be able to move freely, you will have to be careful in which way you do move so your staples dont rip out! YES THEY STAPLE YOU!! You may be afraid to poop afterwards, because it hurts to bear down and push! i have had 2 friends have elective c/s and their recovery time versus my vaginal birth recovery time, is by far alot worse.

But you just need to make an informed decision. your dr can not do anything against your will. your dr does not own you!! its your body and your birth....make a wise informed decision! hope this helps!

by the way..im a doula this is how i know so much, plus im having our daughter at home unassisted with my husband and God. i just know alot because birth is my passion!!!

if you need any other info feel free to pm me anytime you want!

Birth lovin, kinda crunchy parenting, baby lovin' doula!

J-N-D
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Well no I had a regular delivery with my last who was 10 lbs and this baby is measuring to be big again! I agree with the doctor that I need the c-section this time! I do not want to go threw that ever again nor would I want my new baby to go threw it. It was alot on me and my son and I thank god every day that he help and gave me my son and let my son live.! So Sorry I just wanted some comfort thanks!

pregnancy week by week

Mom to Tyler,15 and Wyatt,17 months and excited for our newest addition!
gracie1234
by Member on Nov. 11, 2009 at 1:06 PM

This will be my 3rd c/s and it's not that bad at all, I would rather that then hours and hours of labor and ripping my privates! but then again I never had a vag, so I guess I wouldn't know.... The only problem was my last c/s got infected with MRSA staph and I was in and out of hospital for 5 months and my incision opened and they had to leave it open for 4 months! So just make sure the nurses and drs are wearing gloves and wash there hands be4 touching or looking at your incision!

I also hated all the pain meds because they make me feel awful, but dr. said she will keep that numbing box that goes straight into scar and i wont need any meds!

t0xxic
by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Quoting J-N-D:

Well no I had a regular delivery with my last who was 10 lbs and this baby is measuring to be big again! I agree with the doctor that I need the c-section this time! I do not want to go threw that ever again nor would I want my new baby to go threw it. It was alot on me and my son and I thank god every day that he help and gave me my son and let my son live.! So Sorry I just wanted some comfort thanks!

You should always agree with or trust your Dr :D Only you and him know whats best for you and your baby. Besides if you cant trust your Dr whats the use in having one right? lol

having a baby
aknsmomma
by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I am going to have my 3rd c-section (unless I go into labor early and wait til almost delivery time to have the baby...which I doubt will happen). I wish I could do a VBA2C, but the hospital here wont allow it. It would have allowed me to do a VBAC. My first was a c-section after 14 hours of labor and 2 hours of pushing. She was face up, hands in her face and the side of her head was presenting. DD2 was a c-section because I got scared when they told me she was going to be huge. I was all gung ho for a VBAC and then at 35 weeks I was told that she was already over 7lbs. She was huge at 9lbs 1oz at 39 weeks exactly. She would have been bigger if I had gone over due. I figured that if the 6lb 15oz baby didn't come out, a 9lb baby wasn't gonna come out either. The schedualed c-section wasn't as scary as the first one. I got there at 6am, and she was born at 8:05am. When they brought me to the OR they did the epidural, that sucked, it hurt really bad. Then I started puking...throwing up while not feeling below your chest is hard, but once they got that under control I was fine. She came out huge and screaming looking like a very fat version of her sister. It took a lot longer for that inscion to close than the first though. My dh went TDY 8 days after she was born and was gone for a month, so I had to take care of a colicy newborn and a very difficult 3.5 year old  by myself. Having a c-section is scary because there are a lot of risks involved to both you and baby, but I can understand the not wanting to go through another hard labor/delivery. The problem with going ahead with a c-section, is that this baby may be postioned better or smaller and come out easier. I fell, now, that in some ways I was scared into having a c-section with dd2, and really I was because I ddin't make the descion to schedual one until 35weeks. Either way, the most important thing is a healthy baby, not how the baby is born. In some ways I'm looking forward to another c-section because at least I don't have to worry about calling some one in themiddle of the night to ask if they can take my older 2 while I have the baby, it is still a possiblity, but unlikely. I can arrange things ahead of time and I know exactly when she's coming. Good luck. I'm sure you'll do what is best for you and baby.

Rebecca Momma to
Angelica (6) Keturah (2) and Baby due Feb 25, 2010

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
perfectxsinx
by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Quoting t0xxic:

Quoting J-N-D:

You should always agree with or trust your Dr :D Only you and him know whats best for you and your baby. Besides if you cant trust your Dr whats the use in having one right? lol

you should not always believe and trust your dr, they will lie to you to get what THEY want...honestly i dont think i can even be in this group anymore as some of you are ignorant!

Birth lovin, kinda crunchy parenting, baby lovin' doula!

rockstarmom2b
by Member on Nov. 11, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I won't give you advice on what a c section is like, but I will give you some reading to do to avoid one. Dr. Sears' The Birth Book is an amazing tool to avoiding c sections.

Walking around in labor and not going to the hospital as soon as you start to feel contractions is a great idea. Keep your butt off a bed as long as you possibly can will make for a speedy labor.

Our bodies naturally produce a hormone that softens our pelvis to get ready for birth. Like a pp said if you are lying on your back or semi recline position you are forcing your tail bone up into your pelvic cavity making a large head harder to pass through the pelvis. Just almost any pelvis will be able to pass a baby through with out getting "stuck" unless of course we are talking about a transverse breech which no baby could pass. It's funny to me how no doctor or mother for that matter doubts her uterus' ability to stretch and adapt to accommodate her baby in pregnancy but somehow so many doubt the pelvis' ability to accommodate a head during birth, and if a labor is stalling it must be because the head is too big to pass through.

So unless you are stuck on having a c section and all that matters to you is having a healthy baby then go for it, I guess fear of birth is why the c section rate in this country is 31%, but I will say that there are MANY things you can do in labor and before to avoid an unneeded invasive surgery.

Aaa_thumb

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)