Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Attention Homebirth,Midwife and Doula loving, UAB mommies

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:23 PM
  • 23 Replies
  • 1150 Total Views

I don't want to make seem like a prude here or maybe I just don't care but this group depresses me. I mean no wonder the C Section rate in this country is the highest in the world! 31.8% Hardly anyone trusts their own body to birth their babies anymore, funny how no one doubts their uterus' ability to stretch and accomodate their baby during pregnancy but oh lord when it comes to birth they NEEEEEED a c section because their 9lb baby is too big to fit through their narrow pelvis that has spent the last 9 months softening and molding itself to allow a baby to pass through it, not to mention that their baby's soft skull bones shift to accommodate their narrow exit route. They NEEED pitocin because they've gone to the hospital to be strapped to an EFM, and to the bed at 2 cm dilated. They NEEEED an epidural because the baby is "sunny side up" and they have NOONE around to tell them to squat and move to turn that baby around and no one around to comfort and soothe them to take their adrenaline levels down so that their Oxytocin can do it's job.  Numbers don't lie, and they show that midwife and doula assisted births have a CONSISTANTLY low rate of forceps deliveries and C sections. I'm pulling my hair out because I know I can't help because I am one voice of natural hope surrounded by 10-15 others of intervention condemnation.  It is overwhelming to me, and maybe I shouldn't care, but I do.

I know I'm not in this boat alone, So I'm going to start a new birth month group that can carry on after these babies are born for moms planning home birth, unassisted births, or doula assisted hospital births. I understand that some C sections are needed but only in about the WHO's recommendation of 5-10 percent based on the population of this country. I am willing to leave these people alone to have their babies how they feel is needed but I can't be around it. So I must leave, I would LOVE to have participation from this group's NATURAL childbirth population. PM me for the link to the group if you are interested.

Forgive me for stepping on toes here, but I had to get my message out so I can share my birth month with like minded ones. Thanks all!

Peace and Blessings to all of your babies!

Aaa_thumb

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetjessa
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:56 PM

I think its interesting you bring this up do you have any idea how many people assume I am having a C  section because I am Obese well let me tell you I can push out a baby better then most my last was like 4 pushes and he may have been bruised from the birth canal but he is a healthy running bouncing wiggling toddler .. I even had one of the Dr's tell me she doubted very much i would have a natural VAg birth lol well my selected Dr who delivered Zander said if I thought you couldn't do it why would we waste our time trying ... Having babies is such a amazing moment and I am so thankful I can do it the natural way but I am sure most ladies have a reason for C section or I can only pray they do good luck ladies at birth and enjoy it because it is something you will never forget !

t0xxic
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Wow. Enjoy your new group.

having a baby
OliviasMomme
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Thats really great that you are going to start your own group.  All it means for everyone else is one less person trying to push theirs views and make other moms feel less of a mother because their not doing soemthing your way.

Hope you have some followers. 

LilypieLilypie
scrapgirl2002
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 2:07 AM

Quoting OliviasMomme:

Thats really great that you are going to start your own group.  All it means for everyone else is one less person trying to push theirs views and make other moms feel less of a mother because their not doing soemthing your way.

I completely agree with you Oliviasmomme! I hope that everyone that is this judgemental about other people choices have a great group somewhere else! At least then, none of us have to read about how disappointed they are in us! Good Riddance!

logansmomma2007
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 6:57 AM

Send me a link to the group once you start it.

Yeah, I notice the same thing all around this site.  It isn't so much what women are choosing, it is their lack of knowledge surrounding it.  Women are putting too much faith in their Dr.'s when they are merely human and their recommendations are often times merely opinions.  If only more women would educate themselves the system would be a lot different  :-(

With my first I didn't know much either.  I didn't read about much having to do with birth.  I actually spent most of my time reading reviews for baby products and decorating the room.  Luckily my instincts came through for me as I haphazardly went with a nurse midwife (the OB's were short and rude).  She trusted that my body could push out a 9lbs baby, and when he came out he was only 8lbs 10 oz!  That goes to show how important it is to have a good provider who has faith in you.  It is something that many women can't comprehend for some reason.  They can't imagine that their Dr. would ever recommend something that isn't in their best interest.  Well, Dr.'s have practices to run and families to attend to, and often want to be home by dinnertime.  There are statistics to support that if anyone is interested.

Rialto
by Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 11:05 AM

There is also a group for moms who want a homebirth or natural birth that I belong too. Some of the moms are extreme in their views and opinions but if you want a established group here it is..there is a lot of useful info and links there too.

BIRTH IS NORMAL

http://www.cafemom.com/group/2212/forums/2212/General_Discussion

Having said that..I respect everyone's right to have their baby in the way that feels more comfortable with them. So just because I will be having my baby at home doesn't mean that I think it is for everyone and I won't be leaving this group or my March Mama group either.

redderbedder
by Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 3:36 PM

I just started giving real thought to this yesterday.  My issue is that i really LIKE being in a hospital.  Its not a safety because of intervention feeling, its just that i spent alot of time in them growing up for medical reasons, and my entire family is filled with doctors and nurses.  My 'take your daughter to work days' were filled with hospital visits, and i like it. 

So what should i do?  I know that even doctors say, 'if you want an unassisted birth, get the hell out of the hospital,' but i want both!  Should i consult a doula?  Are midwives allowed to assist in hospitals?  

I also LOVE my doctor.  His wife is a midwife, and he definitely has an understanding that a woman's body does what it needs to do.  He and his wife have 'bets' to see who can have the least vaginal tears in their deliveries.  its in jest, but he really cares.  Only problem is that if i go naturally into labor (which i plan to do), and not be induced, then i am not assured to see that specific doctor.  And i hate the other doctors!!

rockstarmom2b
by Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Quoting redderbedder:

I just started giving real thought to this yesterday.  My issue is that i really LIKE being in a hospital.  Its not a safety because of intervention feeling, its just that i spent alot of time in them growing up for medical reasons, and my entire family is filled with doctors and nurses.  My 'take your daughter to work days' were filled with hospital visits, and i like it. 

So what should i do?  I know that even doctors say, 'if you want an unassisted birth, get the hell out of the hospital,' but i want both!  Should i consult a doula?  Are midwives allowed to assist in hospitals?  

I also LOVE my doctor.  His wife is a midwife, and he definitely has an understanding that a woman's body does what it needs to do.  He and his wife have 'bets' to see who can have the least vaginal tears in their deliveries.  its in jest, but he really cares.  Only problem is that if i go naturally into labor (which i plan to do), and not be induced, then i am not assured to see that specific doctor.  And i hate the other doctors!!

YES! Like I said originally numbers don't lie. Interventions significanly drop with doula supported hospital births. There is no question. Just because I don't personally want a hospital birth doesn't mean that look down on hospital births. Or C sections for that matter. I feel that they are way overused as do most doctors and health organizations in the US.

It is important to love your doctor, and feel like there is nothing you can't discuss with him/her. Honestly, in a hospital birth if you have a doula to support you the person delivering the baby is YOU. With my first birth the doctor showed up about 10 minutes after my daughter was born. lol I got to the hospital when I was 5cm dialated and had her about 3 hours later. It was very fast and out of control. lol

What I would do in your case is ask the doctor you like so much if you can have his pager number or cell phone number just for when you go in labor and you can let him know.

Aaa_thumb

rockstarmom2b
by Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Quoting sweetjessa:

I think its interesting you bring this up do you have any idea how many people assume I am having a C  section because I am Obese well let me tell you I can push out a baby better then most my last was like 4 pushes and he may have been bruised from the birth canal but he is a healthy running bouncing wiggling toddler .. I even had one of the Dr's tell me she doubted very much i would have a natural VAg birth lol well my selected Dr who delivered Zander said if I thought you couldn't do it why would we waste our time trying ... Having babies is such a amazing moment and I am so thankful I can do it the natural way but I am sure most ladies have a reason for C section or I can only pray they do good luck ladies at birth and enjoy it because it is something you will never forget !

I assume NOTHING. Overweight women have just as much ability to push their babies out just as much as anyone else.

Aaa_thumb

rockstarmom2b
by Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Quoting scrapgirl2002:

Quoting OliviasMomme:

I completely agree with you Oliviasmomme! I hope that everyone that is this judgemental about other people choices have a great group somewhere else! At least then, none of us have to read about how disappointed they are in us! Good Riddance!

so tell me where in my post I passed a judgemental opinion at all... I state facts. Facts that I can support with irrefutable evidence. I'm sorry that you feel judged by me. I hope the best for you and your birth whatever path you choose.

I simply feel the need to have a group of like minded people. You feel judged by me however you feel like you've made the right choice, so why should it matter how I feel? I'm not here to tell you that you are doing the wrong thing, I'm here to tell you to listen to your body, and not nescessarily everything that your doctor tells you. What you do is up to you, not me.

Aaa_thumb

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)