Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

whats wrong with him???

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:17 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 337 Total Views

So I have this question and am in dire need to get it answered.!!!!

I thought my on was having reflux but I googled it and the symptoms arent really what he has. the main one being puking, and he isnt much of a puker. everyonece in a while he will (maybe once a day if that) and I figure its because he either ate to fast or ate to much.

ANYWAY ....... after eating it is the worst he will have burps but he like gasps for air (like it burns) and continuesly swallow while gasping.  It happens over and over and over, and he will scream/cry with some like it hurts really bad. I have no idea what this is and if there is anything I can do for him here at home before I call a dr and make him an apointment.  I also google colic this morning and this is not that. 

maybe some helpfull info... He is breastfed, and uses a pacifier almost religiously.

thanks for any help anyone can give :)

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jennasmom08
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:20 AM

Sorry I don't know, but I would take him to the doctor and get it checked.

jaclynrscott
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Maybe he is sick with like a sore throat?

berberry06
by Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:23 AM

silent reflux maybe?

LelandsMommy
by Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:51 AM

It sounds like reflux, but instead of spitting it out he just swallows it back down. I would talk to your pedi. about it... if it is reflux, the acid could damage his esophagus, so he needs to be on some meds like Zantac or Prevacid.

redderbedder
by Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM

silent reflux maybe.  

my daughter has it.  she was given an Rx of Prevacid, but i read it can cause upset tummies or headaches, which i think is worse.  He will gow out of it.. just keep him upright after feedings and when he's 'gagging'.

redderbedder
by Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:52 PM

If the baby gets breastmilk, its not likely that the esophagus will be damaged. Breastmilk is super mild.

If he's formula fed.. maybe an Rx is best.

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Sounds like silent reflux. My son had it (breastfed). Sometimes it can be caused by food sensitivity, like a milk allergy or intolerance. Reflux can cause a lot of problems if not treated, the stomach acid comes back up to the esophagus and when it's "silent" it's even worse since it goes back down, causing 2x the amount of damage as regular reflux.

JennaFoix
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:23 PM

wow never heard of silent reflux, very interesting. he has a dr appt tomorrow morning :) for now im giving him mylicon.

mama2mycuties
by Member on Apr. 3, 2010 at 2:32 PM

what did they say? is it happening at every feeding? my 20mth old had silent reflux and outgrew it by 6mths old so if its that have hope that it can go away.....otherwise Loghyn does have projectile vomiting every once in a while and usually its when shes gone longer between feedings and i have overactive letdown, she gulps too much and then has problems so maybe thats what the problem is...if you post in the bfing group they might be able to help with it.

JennaFoix
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2010 at 3:33 PM

well check out how stupid this is!!!!! they did a chest x ray to check him for Pnemonia and then tested him for rsv and we were sent home with Ayr drops for his nasal congestion (which started when the "reflux" got really bad) and I had to schedule ANOTHER appt for the 12th of April to check for the "reflux". Im so pissed about that because the reflux is why I made the damn appointment and instead they check him for everthing else. And make my life more complicated than it already is by wanting me to come back AND not let him eat for 4 hours (pshhh whatever if hes hungry Im feeding him). whatever Im tempted to just not do it cuz with the mylicon he is doing much better BUT if it continues I WOULD like answers so I pretty much have to go.

Here he is in the crazy x ray contraption they had him in, He HATED it and screamed the whole time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)