Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rice cereal until 5 months??? WTH???

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:56 AM
  • 17 Replies
  • 609 Total Views

I just left a dr. appt. for my 3 1/2 month old son due to an ear infection. I talked to the Dr. about starting the rice cereal in a couple of weeks and she says to me you should not start rice cereal until 5 or 6 months. WTH????? Since when. Everywhere I read it says 4 months and vegetables at 5 and fruit at 6. She gave me the spill about food allergies blah blah blah. My oldest son started rice cereal at 3 1/2 months and did great. I am just confused now b/c I was getting excited to start him on the cereal in a couple of weeks. Now I am just ticked off b/c she says one thing and everywhere else says another.  Has anyone else been told 5 or 6 months and if so are you going to wait?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YzmaRocks
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:33 PM

I think the newest research says to wait until 6 months...that's what I heard at any rate. I'm waiting to give my son any solids until at least 6 months, probably closer to 8. He's exclusively breastfed so he doesn't need solids until he's a year anyway.

GreenBayBotanicalGarden7-08008-1-1.jpg image by YzmaRocks
Jennasmom08
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I heard wait until 6 months.

jaclynrscott
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 3:41 PM

I have already started mine on cereal (he is 3.5 months).  I waited until he showed an interest in food, like smacking his lips when watching us eat.  He has done great.  Our family has NO history of allergies of any kind, so I wasn't concerned.

sweetjessa
by Member on May. 27, 2010 at 1:01 AM

we put a lil bit of cereal in Treys bottles he is a big boy and eats a lot this cuts down on formula use and he is happy healthy and thriving 

Rialto
by Member on May. 27, 2010 at 10:32 AM

We are going to wait until 6 monthsfor anything but breastmilk. We gave food early to my son and I'm pretty sure that it has caused some of the problems he has now..I wish I would have waited.

LelandsMommy
by Member on May. 27, 2010 at 12:07 PM

The opinions on whatever the current research says  changes from doctor to doctor, and from month to month. With my oldest I waited until 6 months because he showed no interest in food, with my 2nd I sharted him at 3.5 months because he was trying to grab food off my plate and was smacking his lips like crazy! I haven't started Elia yet, but I probably will at 4 months. Her tounge thrust reflux is gone, she's showing intrest in my food, so I think she'll be ready in a couple weeks.

Also, there are SEVERAL studies that show starting solids earlier reduces the risk of developing food allergies in kids with no family history of allergies.

AdriansMom0802
by on May. 28, 2010 at 8:15 AM

i have already started cereal, fruits and veggies! it depends on the baby if they are ready.i feed him one thing for a week to make sure he doesnt have a reaction and so far so good!n i did the same with my older son and he is stll doing great =! do what you feel is right for you baby! if they are allergic the only way your going to find out is the hard way! just no PB, nuts or chocolat till at least 1 year is all ive noticed is the same!

LelandsMommy
by Member on May. 28, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Quoting AdriansMom0802:

i have already started cereal, fruits and veggies! it depends on the baby if they are ready.i feed him one thing for a week to make sure he doesnt have a reaction and so far so good!n i did the same with my older son and he is stll doing great =! do what you feel is right for you baby! if they are allergic the only way your going to find out is the hard way! just no PB, nuts or chocolat till at least 1 year is all ive noticed is the same!

So, with my 1st I followed every rule... now he is the pickiest eater in the world!!!! I had planned to follow the rules with my 2nd as well.... then, when he was about 9 months old, I realized that I had already given him Five Guys fries which are cooked in peanut oil, so OBVIOUSLY there was no peanut allergy. So I started giving him peanut-butter at 9 months.... however I held off on the nuts and chocolate because of choking hazards and I just think the longer we can hold off on sweets the better.

Haylee1113
by Member on May. 30, 2010 at 12:54 AM

I started Carter on rice cereal a few days ago (3.5 months) because he always threw up after he ate and I thought maybe being a little thicker with the cereal would help him eat slower and he has done so great and keeps more of his food down.

t0xxic
by on May. 31, 2010 at 2:59 PM

I start whatever whenever I THINK they are ready. all 3 of my kids slowly started cereal at 3 months (or somewhere after 3 months) bc i felt they needed it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)