Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 6 year old WILL NOT stay in her bed!

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2010 at 4:23 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 2022 Total Views

Help!

I spend at least 30 minutes every night laying with my baby girl until she falls asleep.  Then i make it back to my bed for a few hours of good sleep- then she ends up in my bed.  I love having her in my arms, but I get absolutely no sleep when she's in my bed.  Does anyone have any  suggestions?

by on Dec. 29, 2010 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Madretothree
by New Member on Dec. 29, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Can not wait to see if people have answers with this one. I am having the exact same problem with my daughter. She has always been a horrible sleeper.

mommaclausen
by Member on Dec. 30, 2010 at 3:34 PM

My suggestion won't be a popular one. . .

6 years old is old enough to explain consequences.  I totally believe in spanking for the right situation.  Most kids need a physical consequence to remind them that the next time they should do the right thing (in this case, not get out of bed).  (When I was little, I could still call for my mom, usually for a glass of water, but I never got out of bed!)

Most people think of spanking as a kind of abuse.  But that's because most people don't have a logical system.  They get angry and then hit their child.  That is not effective, nor loving.  Spanking should occur in some neutral place in the house, where the child won't feel threatened.  Remind them of what they did and the previously discussed consequence.  Follow through!  Either they need to cry or make some sort of obvious cue to you that they know what they did was wrong.  Make sure they know it's all over and give them hugs and kisses until they are happy again and your relationship is restored.  The little ones should have even forgotten the pain of the situation before you let her go play again.

You need to explain her need for sleep and emphasize that big girls can go to sleep on her own, and anything else you'd like to add that would mean something to her.  Explain in advance that if she gets up, she is doing the wrong thing.  She is not bad, she is making a bad choice.  Then follow through.  There will be lots of crying for a few days!  But if you remember the hugging and loving and bonding part, she won't become angry towards you, you may actually bond more over it.

This can work in many appropriate situations.  I hope that helps.  Good luck.  :-)

1bizzymommy
by New Member on Jan. 1, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I read on BabyCenter that in this case, you can let her sleep in your room but move her mattress or better yet, a sleeping bag, to your bedroom floor and not let her in your bed.  Eventually the novelty of sleeping in your room will wear off.  I should probably follow that advice as well.  Our son sneaks into our bedroom (he is 5) and into our bed at like 4, 5 in the morning when we are sleeping.  It is just so darn cute though we don't really mind I guess.   He is an only child so he probably gets away with more than some other kids at times, lol. 

justformichelle
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2011 at 4:31 PM

My sister just went this with her daughter and she is finally getting better. She offered her rewards for staying in her bed alone. She started the first week explaining that she is too old to have mommy lay with her anymore and she would lay with her for 10 minutes and that was it. She lessened the amount of time for a few weeks and finally she is going to bed alone. If she does well at this for a week she gets to go out for ice cream sundaes on sunday night! 

fleurlilly0730
by New Member on Jan. 27, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Hi...I just joined your group tonight.  I am happy I found someone who has the same problem I am having with my daughter.  I put her to bed every night and stay until she falls asleep (about 20 min or so) and then she ends up waking up around midnight.  I take her back and the cycle continues.  I'm exhausted in the morning from going back and forth and I know she's exhausted when she gets up at 6:30am for school.  She slept better when she was a younger age.  Any suggestions anyone!

615amy09
by New Member on Jan. 27, 2011 at 10:18 PM
I would def do the blanket on the floor. I did that and it worked!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NughtyMama
by New Member on Aug. 16, 2011 at 3:10 AM

Quoting Madretothree:

Can not wait to see if people have answers with this one. I am having the exact same problem with my daughter. She has always been a horrible sleeper.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)