Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

you are NOT alone

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 4:35 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 223 Total Views
I had trouble with my boys. Do you take her for rides? is she fussy? The majority of babies get their days and nights mixed up. If anything that you try is not going to work to get her to sleep longer, then you need to just sleep when she does. I hope you are a sahm.? Does she eat a lot? What are you feeding her?
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
jennblayne
by Group Owner on Jun. 15, 2007 at 9:14 AM
My little one is almost five months...She is not a good sleeper at all...She wakes up several times throughout the night. We are still feeding her at night and the pediatrician says we have to stop that because it will become a bad habit..She said we have to "ferberize" her and let her cry it out...this is torture for my husband and I.....meanwhile, she's starving! We haven't started solids yet b/c of allergies in the family, but we are actually going to start tomorrow after I spoke with another pediatrician in the practice who agreed that she probably needs more calories at this point. But, regardless of starting solids or not, I really think we will always have sleep issues...i wasn't a good sleeper and neither was my husband...so i guess as fate would have it, we are doomed! Naps are difficult during the day and she has trouble sleeping more than 45 min. as well....I have always been able to get by on little or no sleep, but to have so many consecutive days of NO SLEEP is impossible...I am actually a teacher and on maternity leave but will be going back for the new school year in September...The circles under my eyes will not be something pretty I can come back to school with....I always joke that I need to buy under eye concealer in bulk at BJ's or Costco...

Anyway, I had to create this group b/c I have so many friends whose kids are amazing sleepers and it frustrates me....I also read the book by Dr. Weissbluth, Healthy sleep habits, happy child......the one thing in there that we have been following is the earlier the bedtime the better! She has been going down between 6:00 and 6:15 and giving us a good stretch because of it...we start our whole bath routine at 5:30 and it seems to have helped!
Afoster1127
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2007 at 10:26 AM
Jenn:

You are SO not alone!  DH and i just had this type of discussion last night about how to get DS to sleep better and what the best method for us was. I have done SO MUCH reading I get the different methods mixed up!  I know it may not be for everyone, but the Dr. Sear's baby book really gives some explanation as to how and why babies sleep the way they do, and talks about parenting babies to sleep instead of putting them to sleep. It is an attachment parenting approach, and I know that doesn't work for everyone, but there are still some great points to take from it. It also reminds us that a babies temperment, which they are born with, has a lot to do with how they sleep. I think they have a website too....

We also read the Baby Whisperer, which seems tough the first few days, but is supposed to get easier, we may try that...who knows right now. DH and I are going to sit and figure it out this weekend.

My DS is a relatively good napper, he takes 3 during the day, ranging from 1-2.5 hours each, so I have no complaints. Putting him on a bedtime routine has helped a ton. We do the 7:30 feed, bath, massage with the nightime lotion and then a book and walk him to sleep (he hates being stationary even in a rocking chair...I get my exercise with him!). The put him down to bed. He will wake between 11-2 to eat again, half asleep, goes back to bed and usually wakes around 5 being fussy, so I bring him into bed with me and we sleep until 7:30/8ish...now this does vary depending on his mood and other things......

I have to disagree with your Ped (which I have been known to do!) The Ferber method doesn't work for everyone. Some of my friends swear by it, and some hated it. If it is hurting you to hear her cry, maybe it's time to try something else? Also, Dr. Sears says that physiologically babies do sometimes need to eat in the night. We always try about ten mins of calming and holding and such with DS and if he doesn't calm down, then we know he is hungry. Or, if he tries to sleep but keeps waking, he is usually hungry and after eating he kinks right out. Your LO may just need a snack in the night...we are not doing solids yet either....

Okay...I know that was a ton to read and wade through...but I just typed as I thought it....I would be happy to share anything else I can find about it!  Good luck to you!

Anna
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)