Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

whats the best way to teach a dog not to bark at every little noise?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:12 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 220 Total Views

our dog is smart and learns pretty fast, except for the barking we are getting so frustrated with this,  he will do it in the middle of the night and it scares the whole house,  he is not crate trained,  he would cry and whine for hours and hours so we let him sleep with our son.   and cant afford puppy classes,  what is a good command,  

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Marcia01
by Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:22 AM

what breed is he  My daughters shitzu/bichone sits on the step and watches out the front window he will bark at someone across the street and it is a 4 lane highway he barks at almost everything too I tell him "NO BARK" in a stern voice. sometimes it works sometimes I have to distract him with a toy or something else.

I am interested to see what others have to say to help you on this one!

twinsmom2706
by Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Wictoria Stillwell (trainer) teaches the best way to stop a dog barking is to teach him to bark on command. But I cant remember the details now. Maybe google it.

DJLadyK
by on Jan. 29, 2010 at 6:06 PM

I watch It's me or the dog all the time! Victoria has soo many tips! alot of which work for my dog...we are still working on the barking...and we still work on peeing inside and play biting...(she is still 9 mos)...I'd highly recomment that show!!

I recently saw an episode of "its me or the dog" and Victoria told Nicole Sullivan (the comedy actress)   how to help her 4 dogs, one was barking. She stood in front of the dog and used her arms and said ENOUGH and stood there until the dog stopped. sometimes blocking her view... Then took her in. She kept at this and also tried to redirect her attentions. We are trying it with our 9 mos old and it works sometimes but not always...I need to be more diligent and consistent tho too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)