Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scared of Storms!!!!

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:46 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 404 Total Views

My pit deisal is absolutely afraid of storms, right now he is laying behind my back on the couch shaking horribly. He will not calm down for anything and my chihuahua who is "pack leader" in her world likes to attack him while he's down and out. I feel bad, even though it is cute sometimes, and I want him to be ok with storms. Does anyone have this problem or know how to relieve him from the storms??

>>>Him running from our chihuahua during a storm<<<on my lap..

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
robertmommie
by Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:04 PM

First don't let the Chihuaha be his pack leader, it isn't good for him to be disciplined for showing fear, this makes him more fearful.  I know the Chihuaha is trying to correct a behavior she doesn't think should be allowed in your home, but it's your home that she lives in and you need to take control and protect your pit.  You should be able to do this with consistant blocking of the Chihuaha's aggression.  Once she see's you are now taking control she wont attempt it any longer, and your other dog can work on his fear.  But he wont get any better when he is being attacked for his fear.  Can you get your pit to eat treats or chew on toys/bones ect during a storm?  His behavior may improve after he sees he's no longer going to be disciplined for it.  But you need to help coax him out of his fear.  That can be done gradually with lighter storms and getting him more and more trusting by encouraging play and eating treats.  Also a treadmill would be helpful here if you have one, the fearful mode is hard to do when in a traveling mode.  To help your pit it's a baby step process, but first the Chihuaha needs to back off before you will make any head way on his issue.  Gorgeous pit by the way, very healthy too.

NewMommYat16
by New Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Thank You. He loves to play with his rope, so i will try and get him to play and forget about the storms, the chihuahua is more playing than anything and she gets feisty with him because usually he "wins." Hopefully I can try and break him of this horrible feeling he's having..

Tuzyae
by Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 1:20 AM

I'd recommend trying to desensitize your pup. Work on some training with lots of praise and even possibly a special toy or treat. Bring this out when it is storming to get your dog's attention on something else. Many people are successful using storm sound on a CD or a noise machine to get your dog used to the noise. You can practice training and desensitization using this type of mechanism starting with the volume down low and slowly increasing it as your dog seems to get more and more comfortable.

Also, don't underestimate the value of some anti-anxiety medication. This does not mean knocking your dog out, simply getting a prescription and giving it at a low dose just enough to take the edge off until you are successful with the desensitization training. Under your vet's guidance, you can often taper off these types of medications until they are no longer needed.

I am a Pet Nutrition Counselor with 11 years experience working in pet hospitals and 2 years working at dog shows as a nutrition consultant. Feel free to visit my page and ask me questions. I love to help!

Marcia01
by Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 7:38 AM

OMG what a big dog to be a scardy cat!! try giving him a pill called something like stress ease it is sold at Walmart for like $6 or less a bottle and I hear that they do help otherwise you may have to get something from the vet.  the most important thing to do is NOT feed into his behavior by telling him it is ok  Just ignore the behavior and keep an upbeat positive attitude yourself

jennient3
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM

I was just coming to post about this. My old guy found a spot to hide when storms were approaching. He would hide in the bathroom between the toilet and the shower.

But my new guy, I have never seen a dog so terrified, his hair stands up on end, he pants excessively, and shakes uncontrollably while pacing and whining/

I think he needs meds, I tried to crate him the other day which he usually likes, I did it way before the storm was due, and he began chewing his leg raw.

I was just curious to see if anyone has used meds, what they were, and did it really help a bit. 

SweetyPiesG
by on Jul. 4, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Three years ago we took in a mutt we named Maggie. Our vet estimated her to be 2 years old at that time and thinks she's part Jack Russell.  She's quiet, loyal, was housetrained from day 1, but is terrified of loud noises:  thunder, gunshots, and fireworks.  We ignore the trembling, constant panting,  and cowering because I read that coddling her would reinforce her behavior as being acceptable. So she always runs to my husband's desk and hides under it until the noise has ended.

Our problem now is that we have added to our family an 8 month old Yorki who idolizes the mutt.  Mutt hates Yorki pup and growls at Yorki when she tries to be friendly, then puppy drops to the ground and exposes her belly to the big dog, a sign of submission I know.

I can't stand the thought of little pup picking up on mutt's fear of loud noises.  How can we prevent that from happening when the puppy seems to worship the scaredy-cat dog?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)