Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hot Spots?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:55 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 232 Total Views

Hello,

I know this is not about training but I hope it's okay to post this,

Does anyone know how to get rid of Hot Spots? If your dog had it, what did you do for it?

Thanks for your replies!

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
DJLadyK
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:22 PM

I bought Sergeant's hot spot skin remedy and it works like a charm! it doesnt sting or smell...and I've had the bottle a few months and it hardly looks like i've touched it, so it lasts.

CollinBayleeMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2010 at 9:14 AM

What brand of dog food are you feeding?  If your brand has corn, wheat, soy, byproducts, and/or artificial colors/preservatives (and sometimes even beef, chicken, or lamb...you may have to do an elimination diet to figure it out), any of these ingredients can cause an allergic reaction.  If it's not that, it could be something in the environment causing the reaction.  In my opinion, any hot spot treatment you use will just be masking the problem.  You need to get to the bottom of what is causing the allergy.

MinnieMouse8
by Member on Jun. 28, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I'm asking this for a neighbor so I'm not quite sure what dog food she is using, I know she has changed his diet though. I will pass this info onto her, Thank you!

Quoting CollinBayleeMom:

What brand of dog food are you feeding?  If your brand has corn, wheat, soy, byproducts, and/or artificial colors/preservatives (and sometimes even beef, chicken, or lamb...you may have to do an elimination diet to figure it out), any of these ingredients can cause an allergic reaction.  If it's not that, it could be something in the environment causing the reaction.  In my opinion, any hot spot treatment you use will just be masking the problem.  You need to get to the bottom of what is causing the allergy.

Tuzyae
by Member on Jul. 6, 2010 at 10:26 PM
Quoting CollinBayleeMom:

This is a bit of a misconception. Beef, wheat, and dairy account for 87% of food allergies in dogs. Corn accounts for less than 3%, and soy is even less than that. Also, true food allergies are not very common in dogs. The top causes for allergic skin reactions in dogs are fleas and inhalant allergies.

Hot spots are typically caused because there is an irritation on the skin that the dog continues to lick and irritate. This can lead to a secondary infection.

The dog needs to go to the vet. They will clip and clean the area with appropriate cleaning agents. The vet can then give topical and/or oral medications if appropriate.

I am a Pet Nutrition Counsultant with 11 years experience working in pet hospitals and 2 years working at dog shows as a nutrition consultant. Feel free to visit my page and ask me questions. I love to help!

CollinBayleeMom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2010 at 9:34 AM

It is still a good idea to feed a food that doesn't have corn, wheat, or soy as a major ingredient.  The major ingredient in the food should be a named meat and/or meat meal (if it has both, it is even better), but also be sure to watch for byproducts, menadione, and chemical preservatives such as BHA and BHT.  Dogs canNOT properly digest corn, just the same as humans canNOT.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)