• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vent - My mil and her dogs

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:16 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 247 Total Views

I feel really bad for my mil dogs, she had her aussie first which is 6 yr old male, then in the last few month, maybe 6 months, she got a 3 yr old female german shepherd. Well she tried to have them meet in the aussie territory and so the two dogs got into a fight. My mil had friends walk the dogs with muzzles on, a friend decided to take the muzzle off the aussie, the german shepherd get friendly and aussie growls then another fight, but since the shepherd still had her muzzle on, she bit the aussies leg and couldnt let go of her leg and the aussie is twisting and turning, breaks his leg.

My mil thinks she will just keep muzzles on them when they are around each other and eventually one day the will get along but she isn't going to introduce them again until next year spring. She lives in the country, the aussie is with her in the house right now, the shepherd is a little ways away not too far on the same property with friends in the trailer but she has to stay outside all the time. She wants to find the shepherd a temp home for 3 to 4 months then take her back but she puts no time into this dog. I feel like this dog is neglected a bit and very unfair. The people that are staying in the trailer next to her are leaving in a couple of months.

It just bothers me really bad.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
furbabymum
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Sounds like she did a very bad job of making introductions. I'd feel for the gsd too. Can you talk to her about it? Maybe take the dog?

marshsmom
by Group Owner on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I agree, you should talk to her about it.  Maybe you can find a GSD rescue group that would work with you.  Good luck! 

Quoting furbabymum:

Sounds like she did a very bad job of making introductions. I'd feel for the gsd too. Can you talk to her about it? Maybe take the dog?

MinnieMouse8
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:54 PM

I feel for both dogs but also the gsd too! I couldnt take the dog if I wanted to, I just don't have a place for her, she is so sweet too! She wants to keep the dog, she doesn't want to get rid of her. But I'm going to find out what her plans are again and talk to her about it. I just can't stand how the gsd is being just there, if you kwim?! I could however help her find the gsd another home though.

marshsmom
by Group Owner on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:42 PM

It might help if you explain to her that keeping the dogs separated is not going to eliminate the problem and could make another introduction worse.  Especially if the GSD and the Aussie are not socialized during this time away.  Dogs should enhance our lives and bring us joy, if it is bringing anything less to your life you need to reconsider.  By the same token we should enhance a dogs life and provide them with the best quality of life possible, sometimes that means giving them up to someone better equipped to provide that qualty.  I hope with your guidance she will make the right decision.  Good luck!

MinnieMouse8
by Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 11:50 PM

I talked to my mil today about the dogs, she is not getting rid of the gsd as she sees no problem with the situation. She will keep both dogs apart from each other, gsd is loved by many people and herself, she will find a temp home for her for winter then take her back as dogs will just have to adjust to whatever changes are made. There will be people in and out of her life, I'm still talking about the gsd, she will be in her life but just not winter time. I don't think the dog will get brushed at all, she will have a dog house outside when she is living in country, she is a guard dog but friendly also, she is happy that she gets to run all around the property in her enclosed area. That's my mil dog, she said "she loves her" but I'm not sure how often she will go over and give her love and attention.

This is really out of my hands and it bothers me so much. I want to cry just thinking about it.

What do you think of this post? Any feed back would help me?

Thank you!

marshsmom
by Group Owner on Sep. 30, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I think that you have done your best and that is all you can do.  It is sad and it is not necessarily what is best for the dog, but you can only do so much. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)