• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Desperately seeking help

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:44 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 273 Total Views

I have a blood hound. I have had her since she was 3mos old and she is now 5mos. She bites! We got her calmed down somewhat from that, but my dd was playing with her and threw a blanket over Bella's face and bella bit her! Huge bruise on my dd's leg! Bella dug a whole in our bathroom floor!!!!!! She stays in the bathroom while we are gone because it's more room than her kennel, well not anymore. We had to replace part of the bathroom floor. My husband is ready to get rid of her. I need help. What do I do???? I had her food in the bathroom, but since the hole in the floor I moved it to the living room. She tries to find food on the table or around the table and won't eat her own food. I keep food off the table, but sometimes the kids will leave food there. IDK what to do! Please help!

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
marshsmom
by Group Owner on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:20 AM

How much exercise is she getting each day?  For starters I would work with your daughter on teaching her proper interaction with the dog.  It sounds like rough play, but that isn't acceptable with a child.  Your daughter should be taught to play with the dog in games that are dog friendly, like hide and seek, or fetch.  When the dog gets mouthy tell her "no" and turn your back on her and ignore her for a bit.  When you start to play again offer an appropriate toy to play with.  Your bathroom floor is another reason that crates are recommended.  Sorry that happened, I know it can be a pain!  If the dog isn't in the crate for more than 4 hours at a time then don't worry about her having enough space.  She just needs to be able to stand up and turn around.  If she is getting adequate exercise it will help with the destrucvtive behavior.  As for counter surfing, you just have to supervise and correct the dog and never ever give table food from the table.  It may help some if you can get your kids to not leave food out, at least until the dog learns how to behave in the presence of food.  For her food, I would put it down for her twice per day at regular feeding times.  If she doesn't eat in 15 or 20 minutes pick the food up.  Eventually she will learn to eat on schedule.

angelntraining1
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM

I thought the same thing with my DD. My  husband blames Bella though. I will talk to my dd about rough play. Ty!

mammasamba
by New Member on Oct. 2, 2010 at 9:18 PM

The dog is young and needs lots of exercise.   Puppies bite they are teething.   She is a bloodhound she loves to smell and sniff things out.  I leave food out or my dogs at all times.I would put my hands and face in their dish all the time while they eat so that food is not a big deal and is always there.  Put treats around the house for your bloodhound to find.  Make it a game. When my Jack Russell was  puppy we would play hide and seek all the time with a ball/treat to occupy mind and give him excercise both mentally and physically. Your bloodhound will be able to "find"the members of your family by name when he is older. Tip for Mom when its your turn to hide, hide by the dirty laundry it a lot harder for the dog to sniff you out.

angelntraining1
by on Oct. 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM

I've been keeping her outside most of the day for exercise now. She's doing better. I guess inside she wasn't getting the exercise she needed or wanted.

marshsmom
by Group Owner on Oct. 5, 2010 at 4:11 PM

It is good that she is getting more exercise, but bear in mind, most dogs in suburban environments (ie; relatively small fenced areas) won't exercise themselves and will get bored being left outside alone.  At some point you may need to walk her on leash or do something interactive with her.

Quoting angelntraining1:

I've been keeping her outside most of the day for exercise now. She's doing better. I guess inside she wasn't getting the exercise she needed or wanted.

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2010 at 6:29 PM

I agree dogs need interaction to get enought excersise not to mention Training at  months you can begin a obedience class good for the dog and good fo you to.

Interactive toys are also good these you load up with treats and the dogs have to work to get it out.  Walks for a city dog or even a good game of Fetch can be interactive. NOT sure if Bloodhounds have a good retrieve LOL but you can play hide and seek as others have suggested.

I am wondering what lead you to pick this breed. Hounds are hunter and tracker and are hard wired to do so. They can be a pain in the butt if they do not get to use their noses. I know we have a beagle.

angelntraining1
by on Oct. 9, 2010 at 6:42 PM

yes I play fetch with her and she has an awesome retrieve LOL! I'm also teaching her to sit. She's doing better!

marshsmom
by Group Owner on Oct. 12, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Glad to hear she is doing better! 

Quoting angelntraining1:

yes I play fetch with her and she has an awesome retrieve LOL! I'm also teaching her to sit. She's doing better!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)