Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

update on shadow

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:27 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 270 Total Views

So we finally got settled in after our big move cross country. both dogs did fantastic which was a relief! Before we moved Shadow was having problems with the neighbor's pug. Whenever the pug was outside Shadow would bark and snap at her. He actually got her "muzzle" a couple of times and her owner started getting really bitchy about it. We broke down and bought a muzzle which kept him from biting but not "attacking" the fence. I had an earlier post on here and we all thought that it was barrier aggression. Well when we stopped at my mom's house her neighbor has dogs and shadow saw them and ran up to the fence wagging his tail and barking saying I wanna play mom let me play. When we got here neither of our neighbors have dogs but there are dogs a coupld doors down. He hasn't barked angerily or attacked the fence which brings up the question.. what the hell was his problem at our last house?? Honestly I don't think it was him at this point cause if he had barrier aggression it wouldn't matter where he was right? both dogs are much happier here than they were at our last house. More room to run around inside but unfortuantely it is a smaller yard so we have to go to the dog park at least once a week with them

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
miatagirl
by Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Some dogs just don't like certain other dogs... My Corgi's hated eachother, but got along with other dogs.  

armymommy2be818
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM

i honestly think it was because my old neighbor's dogs were just pains in the butt all around.. they never listened to her and she didn't enforce her "discipline" methods so they ran amuck most of the time.

laniramommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2011 at 7:22 AM

could be that something in the other dogs attitude triggered his behavior.

armymommy2be818
by on Feb. 22, 2011 at 7:33 AM

thats the only thing i could think of. i hate though that the last time he nipped her she pretty much said it was all his fault that her 600 pure bred pug had a little stratch.. sorry but her pug wasn't innocent shadow had some pretty bad bite marks too i just don't make a big deal out of it cause he was a rescue and knows how to defend himself. it really toasts my bagels when people rub how much they spent on a dog when they can't afford to fix their vehicle, kwim? i honestly don't believe in buying from breeders in general because of all the shelter dogs that get no love. both of my dogs are rescues and both are very VERY much loved. Purebreds have too many health problems and definitely too many attitude problems for my taste. the only dog i think i would get purebred is maybe a german sheperd but not even then.

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Well some of us Prefer Purbred dogs have nothing against crosses Unless they are bred on purpose to give them a stupid name such as French Bullshitz  LAME

A well bred purebred dogs does not have many issues. and Even Mix Breeds can have hte same genetic defects as their PureBred Parents had  same hip problems, same heart problems, cancer and all that.  To get a better Breeding it is done by outcrossing the purebred lines and not  in breeding, Many Shepherd Breeder now are breeding sounder dogs because they are breeding back to the pure and older European lines, at least in the working Dogs.

To say all purebred dogs have problems is a blanet statement that is well not correct.

I love all dogs regardless of their backgrounds and get rid of all breeding and well dogs would go extrinct  and I am sure all dog lover would have a problem with that. Dog are one of the few Creatures that Truly can enhance the life of Man and help us be better.

armymommy2be818
by on Feb. 22, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I never said that pure breds are bad.. its the people that chose to buy a 600 dollar dog instead of getting a reliable vehicle or taking better care of their kids. thats what i have a big beef about. i agree that if there wasn't purebreds dogs we wouldn't have our loveable mutts. and you are right most purebreds don't have problems. most mutts typically don't have as many health problems as their purebred counterparts.  its proven. thus my standing with mutts over purebreds.

erinsmom1964
by on Feb. 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM

It sounds as if the dogs just didn't like each other....happens just like people.  It also could be you aren't seeingthe behavior at your new home yet because they don't feel its truly THEIRS yet.  Only time will tell.  Also we all know our dogs can respond to our feelings towards others.  They have a keen sense in that department.  Maybe he was feeding off you and it was just a vicious circle?  hopefully whatever the reasons its over for you now.

BTW if my neighbors dog was behaving like yours towards our Sophie I would probaly get pretty bitchy too. 

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Your past neighbors dog was probably the instigator, maybe not all the time but at some point to where you dog  began not to like him.  And some dogs just have issue with some dogs but not others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)