Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Electric fence

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:04 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 165 Total Views

I am hoping some of you might have en electric fence installed.

We are planning on getting one. I am so dang excited we have 3 dogs and a 15 months in the house I need some peace lol I do take them out a lot but not enough.

If you have a fence how did you get them use to it?

How long did it take?

What did you  do so they did not get zapped all the time?

Did you have to be out with then the entire time?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Sunshine201
by New Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Bump... I was looking at a wireless one last night...want to see replies.

madwifa
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:07 PM

:) tks for the bump I am interested too

Kruff
by New Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:13 PM

We have an electric fence and love it, our dog does not stay out all the time he has only been shocked twice in 1 year.  Now we do not even put his collar on he know where the line is and will not cross it.  Training is the key follow the instructions the dogs will learn quickly.  The collar will beep as they near the line they quickly learn what that means.  Everyone in our cul-de-sac uses an electric fence and loves them.  We purchased ours at Lowes and installed it ourself.  Hope this helps.  The only issue you may have is the size of your dogs if some are small and some a large the fence only has one setting that could be too much for the small dog and not enough for the larger.

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:39 PM

If you are talking about underground fences they do need to be Trained on them.  And that involves teaching the dog to turn away when it hears the beep.  We had one for years when we lived on a busy road and almost an acre fenced in and the dogs respected it once they where trained and never crossed it.

The downfall is other dogs can get in. We use to have the old neighbors shepherd who would come and visit but it was ok they all go on with him.

Once a dog learned the shock only last so long some dogs will run but that normally fall to bad training to begin with I would think.

We have fenced yards and runs now so it is no longer needed and our dogs do not jump fences they can but again that goes to training.

madwifa
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:11 PM

tks for the info the one we are looking at has 2 height setting for the larger and smaller dog but funny thing is they say on the box short haired and long hair? strange

I was wonderin how hard it was to teach them to not to past the line

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)