Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog vaccines?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:08 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 347 Total Views

So what are your opinions of dog vax?

Good, bad, or neutral. Any research or info to back up your opinion? If you only do some why those specific ones?

Also is there a good site to find info on what the actual diseases / illnesses are & how serious they are?

I know several people that have seen dramatic personality / temperament changes with vaxing. Also people whose dogs have gotten the illness from the vaccines, much like people vaxes can cause.

Personally my son's previous companion dog got parvo EVERY time she had the vax or booster. Seriously aggravating!

And yes I did extensive research into people vaxes before making an educated decision for our family. Before now we have adopted from the shelter so dogs came pre-vaxed & 'fixed'. With the new pup we adopted from a family and he has had nothing. We are planning on worming & neutering.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
thundersky
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:03 PM

the parvo vax is a good one. my puppy just sevived parvo it was not fun

Rik-E
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Like I said we have dealt with parvo every single time our previous dog got the vax. So it is an illness I am familier with & a vax I've seen cause problems. It is actually the only canine vax I know much about.

Quoting thundersky:

the parvo vax is a good one. my puppy just sevived parvo it was not fun

laniramommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:06 AM
My dog has gotten all vaccins so far he needs here in the netherlands. (For instance rabies is not vaccinated against here unless you need it because youre taking your dog abroad to a country where it is obliged. So some vaccins may be different in different places of the world you know )
So far i have never heard of a dog here that got health problems or something caused by vaccinations .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laniramommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:10 AM
My dog has gotten all vaccins so far he needs here in the netherlands. (For instance rabies is not vaccinated against here unless you need it because youre taking your dog abroad to a country where it is obliged. So some vaccins may be different in different places of the world you know )
So far i have never heard of a dog here that got health problems or something caused by vaccinations .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Well I do beleive that puppies should get the complete series expecially Parvo and here Leptrose as well.

I give vaccinations until the dogs are Two years old. After which I give them the same as rabies every 3 yeras. I think if you not giving them you do need to titer the dogs occationally.

Like Heartworm I am against giving dogs meds that are esentially not needed. Here in Oregon there is hardly any Heartworm in 15 years no dog has had it. If I still lived in Wisconsin all the dogs would be On that pervention since it is an epidemic there.

furbabymum
by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 1:55 PM

I get rabies religiously. We have an outbreak of rabid skunks and my dogs have caught several skunks.

marshsmom
by Group Owner on Sep. 16, 2011 at 2:04 PM
I get rabies because it is required by the parish I live in. It is illegal to not have your dog licensed and the only way to license is the rabies vax. I also get all other shots for all my pets because we foster for the animal shelter as well as visit dog parks, etc. They have a high exposure so we do all the vaccines. I've never had one of my dogs or a foster get sick from the vax. We also do monthly flea and heartworm treatments. I live in south Louisiana where heartworms and fleas are inevitable if your dog is ever outside and not on preventative. In fact my current foster dog is Heartworm positive and waiting for treatment but there is a shortage of the medicine needed to treat so she takes prevenatives until she can get the mess. This will hopefully keep her condition from worsening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marshsmom
by Group Owner on Sep. 16, 2011 at 2:05 PM
*mess=meds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SodiumPentathol
by Member on Oct. 3, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Your vet should know what diseases are common to your area. Also check with any groomers or kennels you plan on taking him to, some of them will require particular vaccinations. If he's going to be around groups of other dogs get the easily communicable ones (eg kennel cough). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)