• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hi i,m new and need advice ...

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:31 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 228 Total Views

NEED DOG ADVICE...my puppy bits and tries to fight my boxer (she is 60 lbs .pup is 7 lbs )i,m so afraid my older dog will hurt her or the pup will hurt the older dog ...how can i help them get along .oh bw the way at feeding time thy get along .(pup is just getting over a injury ..not by older dog )

kota  4 years old..

ellie 2 months old..

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:52 PM

sometime you just have to let them work it out How old was the pup whe you got her, 8 weeks puppies are still learning to control their biting and fight a lot with other puppies. Normally the older dogs will put them in their place with a NIP if they get irritated to much and not really hurt them and the puppy will learn to back off.

If the other dog indulges the puppy you might want to use a ENOUGH command that is what I had to do with Trooper and I used Citronella oil/water mix in a spray bottle and would squirt him and say enough now I just say enough and he goes and lays down.

If you got the puppy before 8 week she probably did not learn that biting hurts and is looking at the older dog as a sibling.  I beleive that pups do not truly learn that till 10 weeks myself from what I have seen with my own litters when I send them home they know biting HURTS.

So for the most part I would like the older dog work it out unless your worried about her getting to annoyed and really hurting the puppy by attacking it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)