Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My dog got his very first ear infection last August, I was on my way to bring him to the vet to get a rabies booster since the previous day a rabid skunk had been in my yard and chased my dog, and while in the car he started shaking his head. I figured it was just the wind coming into the car but while the vet was examining him she said his ear was infected and was still in the very early stages so she gave me some ear drops for him.

I did the drops and the infection went away, but two months later he had another ear infection in the same ear. He had another round of drops and it went away but then it seemed like every couple months the infection would come back. Finally the infections seemed to stop, he had been free of ear infections for the last 3 months.

Last night as I sat in front of the computer my dog sat in his chair and slept, when I got up to go downstairs he followed me and as he followed me into the kitchen he started shaking his head again so I went to check his ear. The first thing I noticed was that his ear was all wet which seemed odd since he hadn't been near any liquids. I flipped back his ear to look at it and his ear was redder than it had ever been and was covered in a slimy brown liquid. I got a paper towel and wiped just the inside of his ear to dry it off, when I looked at the paper towel there was a little bit of blood. I called his vet but couldn't get an appointment until Monday so I'm just a bit worried. He hasn't been shaking his head as often as he did with his past ear infections even though his ear looks worse than it ever has before.

He wanted to play earlier this afternoon so I got down on the floor to play with him, I put each one of my hands on each side of his head and rubbed him like I always do but this time he cried when I touched near his ear on the outside of his head which he never did with his previous infections. So now I'm even more worried about it. He doesn't cry when I look at his ear or even when I wipe it but putting pressure on the outside of his ear under the opening of his ear causes him pain.

I know this isn't related to dog training but I'm hoping someone has experience with a dog who has recurring ear infections. Is there anything I should specifically ask the vet about on Monday? Is there a reason only one ear keeps getting infected? I know these infections aren't any fun for him and I wish I knew why it keeps happening and how I can stop it.

by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Replies (11-16):
furbabymum
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Sorry. Sometimes it's hard to tell on the internet. lol I'll look at the brands I use when I get home and post them on here.

Quoting SissyAnn141:

Quoting furbabymum:

Excuse me? Are you trying to argue with me or get the name of my ear cleaner?

Quoting SissyAnn141:

Quoting furbabymum:

Floppy eared dogs get ear infections. Preventative maintenance is what I do to avoid them. We have the wipe pads and the liquid ear cleaner. I use it every single saturday on all 4 of my dogs to avoid infection. Haven't had an infection in years.

I would love the NAME & Information you have...PLZ

Argue with you? No ?

Just asking for information .

Sorry, I offended you ♥♥♥♥

SissyAnn141
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Quoting furbabymum:

Sorry. Sometimes it's hard to tell on the internet. lol I'll look at the brands I use when I get home and post them on here.

Quoting SissyAnn141:

Quoting furbabymum:

Excuse me? Are you trying to argue with me or get the name of my ear cleaner?

Quoting SissyAnn141:

Quoting furbabymum:

Floppy eared dogs get ear infections. Preventative maintenance is what I do to avoid them. We have the wipe pads and the liquid ear cleaner. I use it every single saturday on all 4 of my dogs to avoid infection. Haven't had an infection in years.

I would love the NAME & Information you have...PLZ

Argue with you? No ?

Just asking for information .

Sorry, I offended you ♥♥♥♥

laughingWe are cool.

I am a NO MAMA DRAMA- I do love my animals, and want what is best for them, I do understand how you feel...Some ladies on C.M, can be AWFUL.

SissyAnn141
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Quoting CollinBayleeMom:

I would check the food you are feeding.  If it has corn, wheat, or soy in it, he could be allergic or sensitive to it.

Along with my other post on his food-- Thinking you may be correct.

Again, I was so HAPPY-

I could Pronounce, and know all Ingredients, of his dog food ♥♥♥♥♥

**** I always thought those commercials, were just "HIPE" to sell their food ?

Now I see it is TRUE ??? clapping

SunFlower700
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM

When my dog was younger, she used to get ear infections.  I changed her brand of dog food to one that does not contain any corn product in it, just in case it was from a food allergy, and added a table spoon of low fat plain yogurt to her dog kibble.  Also cleaning her ears weekly with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water.  It's been 5 years and she had not had one ear infection since (knock on wood).

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Sometimes dogs need to have surgery to correct ear problems. My inlaws had  cocker that had a surgery.  What kind of dogs is he?

SissyAnn141
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Quoting NancSBRN:

Sometimes dogs need to have surgery to correct ear problems. My inlaws had  cocker that had a surgery.  What kind of dogs is he?

My dog, is my baby, He has a chronic ear infection,.....

Appearnntly, he came home with this frown mini, when I had him neuter, I told about his ear, they said "They cleaned it and gave me meds.

Now he has what they call "Keloids"?

I have, been trying all remadies... I hate for him to have surgery.

*** He was a abused dog ***

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN