Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sciatica in dogs

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:41 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 749 Total Views

Last December I took my dog to the vet for an xray, due to her limping on her left back leg.  The xray showed she has sciatica (a prolapsed disc in her lower back that the vet mentioned looked mild) and mild arthritis in her right hock.  I have her on Medicam for the pain and glucosamine with MSM, but as soon as I take her off the medicam, the inflammation starts back up and she's limping again.  I need to keep her exercised to keep the weight off her, which has been hard, as she loves agility but it's no longer an exercise option for her.  I don't have a pool and there are no dog beaches around (closest one is a 3 hour drive away), so swimming is not an option.

Does anyone have a dog with sciatica and what do you for exercise with them?  Also I don't want to keep my dog on Medicam for the rest of her life.  Do you know of any other pain and inflammation medication that is safer than Medicam for dogs?  I was looking into Cartrophen, but it looks like it's only for joints and not back issues.

Thanks.

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
SissyAnn141
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 12:11 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)