Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question about my puppy, i need help because i'm on the verge of getting rid of my puppy

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 243 Total Views

His name is Ajay. He is a husky/cocker spaniel mix.

He turned a year old the day after father's day. So he's a year and 2 months?

Anyways.....my son was born June 28th.

While I was pregnant, Ajay would follow me around and I just figured that either he doesn't like being alone or he can sense that i'm pregnant and just want to protect me.

After we got home with our baby boy, Ajay wouldn't leave me alone.

He still does this. He will follow me in whatever room my baby and i are in.

when he hears the baby cries, he'll go where the baby is at that point in time.

problem is, he's so, what feels like, stuck up my ass that he will walk under my feet and trip me.

and it pisses me off because he's done that WHILE i was holding my baby once and i almost fell.

what do i do?

this is his 3rd home.

the first owners he had, got rid of him because their landlord said they couldn't have pets.

and then his second owner couldn't keep him because she found out the hard way that she was allergic to dogs.

and when we took him to our vets, the vet said that he was abused by a male.

so that's part of his history.

i have a 7 year old son. before ajay got fixed, he would grawl and snip at my son and then one time he actually bit him.

but after he got fixed he stopped doing that completely.

i don't know if explaining his history is revelant to my problem that i'm having with him but i figured i would add that in just in case.

we put him through puppy training class before he got fixed (he got fixed 2 weeks ago) and the class helped because he stopped peeing in our house. we took him to puppy training class about 4 months ago, class lasted 6 weeks.

my SO was the one who wanted this dog and I told him that when we get him back from my mom's that he needs to help me more with taking care of him.

now i feel bad i feel that this puppy doesn't get the love a attention that he needs.

honestly, he hardly gets any attention and it pisses me off beause my SO wanted him but yet, i'm the one who is responsible for giving him attention and love but since our baby was born, i haven't had the time at all. literally, not at all.

i don't know what to do. i'm in the process of looking to get rid of him but i can't find any place that will take him.......i can't even find a shelter that will take him.

i feel bad because i yell at him because i feel like he's up my ass all of the time and i just don't want to be mean to him anymore.

i'm hoping that i can get help from this group. i'm hoping that someone can explain to me why he's always up my ass and how i can fix the other problems that i'm having with him. i honestly don't want to get rid of him.

also, can you give me any advice on how to explain to my SO how he should help me with this pup? or maybe tell me if he even needs to help me. i just don't know what to do anymore.

by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
vinalex0581
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM

BUMP!

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM

YOu need to teach him Place a bed, blanket, Rug that when you say Go to your place her will go there and chill for a while.  Shepherds are always with you but like my dogs but if I say go find your place they will go lay down for a bit.  Training is what you need your the boss you decide what he needs to do.

I weuld also put my foot down with the boyfriend only if he take him out for a walk or

Feed him now and then you need to tell him that you need help and you expect him to step up.

furbabymum
by Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:19 PM

My viszla is up my butt all the time. Sometimes I can't even get dressed without knocking him in the head. They are known as velcro dogs so it's a breed type thing. For yours, I'd guess it's an abandonment issue. I just taught mine "get" and when I say it he goes away. Works like a charm!

I had 5 dogs when my DS was born so I know how it feels to not be able to give as much attention as you like. For my dogs just being in my presence is enough. I try to give them a pat on the head when I walk past. Now that my DS is 1 and in LOVE with all our dogs it's really easy to get enough attention to go around. Just sit with your dog while you are feeding your baby and such. Attention is the easiest thing to give!

As for boyfriend problems, well I'm in the kick them in the ass, school of thought. I tell my DH, "you can do this or you can do that." I get help and he feels like he gets to choose. Feeding the dogs is exclusively the responsibility of the party that gets home first. Usually my DH.

If your dog was snappy with your 7yo just be careful with the new baby. Babies look like little bitty aliens and scare the hell out of some dogs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)