Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

chewing collar off

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 11:01 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 359 Total Views

I have started having issues with my  7 month old Aussie puppy chewing off her collar when she is in her crate. I have always used Combo callars on my dogs and have never had this issue.  The collars are fitted correctly but when I realized what she was doing I tightened the collar a little hoping that would help. It didn't though.  

We were out of town this week and I realized she was starting on her collar so I made the decision that while she was in the crate she was not going to wear one. Well, my daughter put her in the crate and forgot. We were gone maybe 45 minutes after spending most of the day at the lake (dogs were there swimming and running around) and the collar was destroyed. So I ended up having to buy a choke chain because we were in an area where there are no pet stores and I was lucky to find that. 

I am kind of thinking about letting her wear the choker for a while and maybe that would teach her not to chew on the collars but I don't like the Idea of leaving that on her in the crate either. I really hope this is just a phase and it will pass. She gets plenty of excersise so I can't imagine that she would be bored but who knows.

But I would love to hear some other ideas.

by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 11:26 AM

You could put some bitter apple on it or if you don't have any try hand sanitizer it is alcohol and has a bitter taste they do not like. I used that on Badger leash as a puppy.

KyliesMom5
by Group Admin on Sep. 3, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I thought about the bitter apple but I would never have thought about using the hand sanitizer. I will have to try that the bitter apple did not seem to phase her all that much when I tried it in the past

Quoting NancSBRN:

You could put some bitter apple on it or if you don't have any try hand sanitizer it is alcohol and has a bitter taste they do not like. I used that on Badger leash as a puppy.

obx_Mom
by Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I'm not being sarcastic, sometimes its hard to understand a person's "tone"  when you are reading something rather than hearing them speak - why do feel the need for her to wear a collar? 

I have two dogs and my youngest doesn't mind wearing her collar, but my older dog doesn't like hers. The only purpose a collar serves for my dogs is a place for their rabies tags, but that's because my dogs are English Bulldogs and they don't have necks....  (the younger one does, sort of....) 

When I walk them they each wear a harness that has their dog tag/rabies tag on it, but other than that I don't see any need for a collar around the house. 

But you may, I'm just asking. If you feel like you need to have one on her maybe she doesn't like the jingle of the tag, if you have the tag on it? I'm also thinking that if she can get it into her mouth - its too loose to begin with. 

KyliesMom5
by Group Admin on Sep. 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I prefer to keep collars on my dogs so that they will have tags. Plus it is easier to grab them with collars if the need arises. She does have tags but the collar was not to lose. I use combo collar so it is possible she was able to get a hold of the second loop. I have been using these collars for years and never had a problem. 

Quoting obx_Mom:

I'm not being sarcastic, sometimes its hard to understand a person's "tone"  when you are reading something rather than hearing them speak - why do feel the need for her to wear a collar? 

I have two dogs and my youngest doesn't mind wearing her collar, but my older dog doesn't like hers. The only purpose a collar serves for my dogs is a place for their rabies tags, but that's because my dogs are English Bulldogs and they don't have necks....  (the younger one does, sort of....) 

When I walk them they each wear a harness that has their dog tag/rabies tag on it, but other than that I don't see any need for a collar around the house. 

But you may, I'm just asking. If you feel like you need to have one on her maybe she doesn't like the jingle of the tag, if you have the tag on it? I'm also thinking that if she can get it into her mouth - its too loose to begin with. 

obx_Mom
by Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I figured the "easy to grab her" was the reason. That's one of the reasons that our Bella wears a collar in the house. She likes to make going potty a game sometimes, and because she's a bulldog she can push her way right past me when she wants to. By having a collar on her I can have something to grab hold of if I'm quick enough....

I also like it because her tag "jingles" and I can always tell where she is. (I have mobility issues some days and can't always get up and around like I'd like)

When I walk them I use a harness because otherwise it slips right over their heads because their necks are bigger than their heads. 

I wonder if a harness would work? They make ones that are soft mesh across the chest and then the strongest part is across the back. Have you seen them? Just a thought. 

I just have a vision of her getting her mouth caught up in the collar one day.... NIGHTMARE! My yorkie used to do it when her collar would come loose and slip down over her ear = she would scream like someone was skinning her! 

KyliesMom5
by Group Admin on Sep. 8, 2012 at 12:42 PM

That is another reason I like the collars I have issue with my ankles so I have a hard time walking in certain areas. I am able to hold on to my biggest dog and he leads me. I won't be doing that with Bunny because she won't be as tall as Beau. When we walk we use a gentle leader head halter although my daughter likes to take her out just using the collar. 

Quoting obx_Mom:

I figured the "easy to grab her" was the reason. That's one of the reasons that our Bella wears a collar in the house. She likes to make going potty a game sometimes, and because she's a bulldog she can push her way right past me when she wants to. By having a collar on her I can have something to grab hold of if I'm quick enough....

I also like it because her tag "jingles" and I can always tell where she is. (I have mobility issues some days and can't always get up and around like I'd like)

When I walk them I use a harness because otherwise it slips right over their heads because their necks are bigger than their heads. 

I wonder if a harness would work? They make ones that are soft mesh across the chest and then the strongest part is across the back. Have you seen them? Just a thought. 

I just have a vision of her getting her mouth caught up in the collar one day.... NIGHTMARE! My yorkie used to do it when her collar would come loose and slip down over her ear = she would scream like someone was skinning her! 

abctexan
by New Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 1:32 AM

My hubby's heeler mix does this on other dogs- namely our basset (of the other 2, one won't put up w/ it and hte other is never out alone w/ her). We put a choke chain on him and used a zip-tie to kee the chain from tightening on him. It works great. About once every 2 wks I replace the zip tie (unless the air has been dry- then it's every week) so it won't break. Seems to have cured her because he is now wearing a reg collar, after 3m of him wearing the chain, and she hasn't chewed it yet!

furbabymum
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I'd think they'd chew on the chain and wear their teeth down. Could just be something she's doing out of boredom. Give her a chewie in her crate and see if she stops.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN