Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think he could have hyper extended his leg?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 405 Total Views

My Yorkie mix, Odin, has been limping off & on all evening. When I came home from work my 13yoDD said when she went to take him outside to our dog run (she was carrying him) he was wiggling to get down & chase a squirrel. Since then he has been favoring his back right leg. Every once in awhile he will wimper as if in pain. He can still jump up on the couch & lay next to me. When I looked at his paw to see if maybe he had stepped on something I couldn't see anything. The reason I thought maybe he had was because my 3yoDS dropped a glass the other night & it broke. I thought maybe the dog stepped on a piece of glass I didn't sweep up.

When DD told me about the limping I didn't notice it. He seemed fine. Then a few hours later she said he was doing it again. Well at that point he jumped on the couch & when he got down to follow me around he seemed okay. Just a few minutes ago he was sitting on the floor wimpering & when I called him it was clear he was limping. I asked DD if she maybe dropped him when she put him down & she said no. Of course maybe she doesn't want to get into trouble for hurting the dog.

Does anyone think maybe he just hyper extended his leg? I really can't afford to take him to the vet right now (been down on my luck money wise lately) but I know my ex SIL works for a vet & might be able to figure something out to help us (financially) if needed.

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
DJLadyK
by Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 2:36 PM

my 7 mos old is also limping (his front right)...not sure if its cuz someone stepped on him, or the 2 dogs playfighting, ot his getting caught jumping out of the laundry basket..he favors it tho..lifts it now and then, but still insists on playing running, jumping......hard to make him rest! Mine has limped for a few days now and we are taking him to the vet....I dont see anything in his pads...

also if you go to the Care Credit site, its a card that is like a credit card but for health and vet. I just used it for the vet checkups for both dogs and their shots , otherwise I wouldnt be able to afford it either.  Its low monthly payments too.....

CampClan
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM

How low are we talking? Might be something I will look into. We have a vet that is down the street from us & is within walking distance.

Quoting DJLadyK:

my 7 mos old is also limping (his front right)...not sure if its cuz someone stepped on him, or the 2 dogs playfighting, ot his getting caught jumping out of the laundry basket..he favors it tho..lifts it now and then, but still insists on playing running, jumping......hard to make him rest! Mine has limped for a few days now and we are taking him to the vet....I dont see anything in his pads...

also if you go to the Care Credit site, its a card that is like a credit card but for health and vet. I just used it for the vet checkups for both dogs and their shots , otherwise I wouldnt be able to afford it either.  Its low monthly payments too.....

DJLadyK
by Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Well I don't know how low yet as my first bill hasn't come in yet.they gave me a $800 credit line.saved me for sure..I cannot afford big monthly payments either. Appt was $90 yesterday for his leg.told me his shoulder was inflamed and gave me basically doggy ibuprofen. He has a 2 week supply and will take it 2x a day.hopefully it helps and we won't have to get xrays and testing for Lyme disease or displaysia!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
harmony7
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Many Many small breeds have luxatating patellas ...where the knees slip in and out of place...when out they hurt when in the dont.

I am not sure about an inflamed shoulder? That would be the front leg so does he have that also?...sounds like a cant find an answer so vet is going to tell you inflamtion....Keep an eye on the knee, it will look like it hyper extends when it happens

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with six still at home!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)