Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Devastated (kleenex box may be needed)

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:50 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 492 Total Views

My beautiful sweet St. Bernard went to the Rainbow Bridge on Saturday at only 2 years, 8 months and 14 days and my heart is just broken.  I feel it is my fault....she contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and just couldn't beat it.  She was on Frontline Plus, but in August I got so busy with the the kids that I was a week late putting it on her....I just forgot.  I remembered when I found one on her, but it was too late, it had already started destroying her precious body. 

On Sunday September 9th, we noticed a terrible rash and ear swelling and called the vet and she met us at the office.  It was itchy and appeared to be hives so she was treated with a steroid and she looked better Sunday evening.  Monday morning, she looked terrible, so I called vet back and she had me bring her back in.  She was given a tick panel and everything was negative, so she again treated her with steroids and kept her.  Early Tuesday she called and said she had been consulting with other vets and they suggested Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever so she began giving 1500 mg of Tetracycline (she was a big girl).  Scarlett couldn't tolerate the meds and vomited them up, so she switched to a different one that was coated hoping that would help. It didn't.....she started her on IV antibiotics, but they are weakened.....Thursday evening there were signs her kidneys were shutting down, so she did everything she could to keep that from happening and finally as a last attempt at saving her life, she ordered an antibiotic they treat horses with as their stomaches are very sensitive.  She started that on Friday and by Friday evening appeared to be getting better....Saturday morning September 15th, she got up and walked on her own, went to pee and walked back to her kennel, laid down and took her last breath. 

I never in a million years would have dreamt something like this could happen.  According to my vet, she has been in practice for 30 years and never seen RMSF in a dog....we have had 2 cases in humans this year and only 12 in the past year.  There is not a test for RMSF....there are other tests you can do that will point to it, but nothing that tells you straight up.  Most cases of it are reported to be contracted in August and most cases are in dogs under 3 years old.  

I am sooo sorry I failed you Miss Scarlett! RIP   

by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marshsmom
by Group Owner on Sep. 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM

So sorry for your loss.  Please don't blame yourself, you never know, she may have had a genetic problem that contributed to the situation.  She had a good life and was loved deeply, that is all that matters now.  I  hope that you find peace.  (((HUGS)))

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM

sorry for your lose.

Baci3000
by Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:29 PM
So sorry for your loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NatalieMH
by Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 8:33 AM
So sorry for you loss
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hez3
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:24 AM
I am so sorry for your loss . Please don't blame yourself .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2protectivemom
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Thank you all.  It's hard not to blame yourself, but I am feeling a little better.  My sister had to take her Saint to the vet for something minor a week after her passing and she talked to him about it and he said that the tics and fleas were way worse this year and he has had so many complaints about the flea and tick products not working that he has started to recommend they reapply every 3 weeks instead of 4.

If nothing else, I have learned several great lessons through all this and the 1st is to appreciate what you have when you have it because you don't know when it will be taken away.  2nd is to stop taking on so much responsibility, my kids and animals have to come first.  3rd is if  I think of doing something, I need to do it, don't wait because it may not be there to do that with later.  

KRIZZ25
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM
I,M SO SORRY ...
I HAD TO PUT MY BABY TO SLEEP TODAY ..
SHE IS A BOXER /LAB MIX ..I GOT HER OFF CRAGS LIST LESS THAN A YEAR AGO ..SHE HAS SOMETHING WRONG WTH HER.. SHE WEN CRAZY AND JUMPED OWER FENCE AND KILLED 2 NABORS SHEEP ,HURT LIKE 7 MORE..SO I CALLED ANIMAL CONTROL..THY CAME AND GOT HER ..SHE WILL BE PUT TO SLEEP.. I HAD TO TELL MY 3 KIDS AND THY CRY-ED AND SAYED "ELLIE"!!! IT BROKE MY HART ...I,M SO SAD NOW.. WE HAVE ANOTHER DOG ..SHE IS A COMFORT TO US.
furbabymum
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Oh lord. I can't imagine. I shouldn't have read this all pregnant and stressed about my own st bernard.

I'm so sorry for you! Hugs from here.

2protectivemom
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Quoting KRIZZ25:

I,M SO SORRY ...
I HAD TO PUT MY BABY TO SLEEP TODAY ..
SHE IS A BOXER /LAB MIX ..I GOT HER OFF CRAGS LIST LESS THAN A YEAR AGO ..SHE HAS SOMETHING WRONG WTH HER.. SHE WEN CRAZY AND JUMPED OWER FENCE AND KILLED 2 NABORS SHEEP ,HURT LIKE 7 MORE..SO I CALLED ANIMAL CONTROL..THY CAME AND GOT HER ..SHE WILL BE PUT TO SLEEP.. I HAD TO TELL MY 3 KIDS AND THY CRY-ED AND SAYED "ELLIE"!!! IT BROKE MY HART ...I,M SO SAD NOW.. WE HAVE ANOTHER DOG ..SHE IS A COMFORT TO US.

KRIZZ25, I am sooooo sorry!  Had she had signs that something was wrong before she did this or was it sudden?  It breaks my heart that you had to lose her this way.  (((((((HUGS)))))))

2protectivemom
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Quoting furbabymum:

Oh lord. I can't imagine. I shouldn't have read this all pregnant and stressed about my own st bernard.

I'm so sorry for you! Hugs from here.

Awwww.....(((((((HUGS))))))) right back to you!  I hope everything is okay with your Saint! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)