Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Extreme Separation Anxiety

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 303 Total Views

Like he ate the whole couch, hurts himself in a wire crate chews a plastic crate.  He is a rescue about 6 months old and lived at the shelter for several weeks before going into foster care.  He only does this when his foster family is out of sight.  They can still be in the house but in another room and he freaks.  There are other dogs and cats in the home and he loves them but they don't curb his anxiety.  Several strategies are being tried but do any of you have suggestions?

by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Humm tha is a shame. All I can think of is starting slowly keeping his crate in an active part of the house, maybe he needs something like rescue remedy for a while to ease him into this slowly.  I feel for the family and the dog.

Nanc

marshsmom
by Group Owner on Oct. 1, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Thanks Nanc, I think he may be slowly improving, It's difficult to deal with but hopefully they can get him past these issues so he can become adoptable.  For now he is kind of stuck in foster care, but better that than him be adopted out and returned to the shelter and likely PTS.

furbabymum
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Have they tried one of those calming coat things I've heard about? I don't remember the exact name.

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM

oh you mean Thunder shirts I heard som having success with those. Hope he continues to improve.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN