Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

so i have 2 cats, 2 toddlers, a baby on the way but i really want a dog too! lol. Advise?

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:32 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 275 Total Views

Hi, my name is Janet, I am new to this group and i have a 4 year old girl, a 2 year old boy and a baby on the way in March. :)  Now i love animals, and have always wanted a dog. I have held a puppy for someone for a couple of months but thats it. I went to a high kill animal shelter about 2 months ago to adopt a kitten with my daughter who wanted 1. But i just cant shake these dogs that i saw in the lobby to be surrendered, 1 was a pit bull all skin and bones, another was a young golden lab. i felt so bad especially bc there was a woman there from an animal rescue agency trying to persuade the guy with the young lab to just hold onto  him for a week so she can make room for him at her place and that she would take care of him and find him a home. but the guy kept saying no. the woman went on to say how all the dogs there get sick and are scared and it doesnt matter how young or cute they are if they are not adopted with in a week or so they get euthanized. :( I felt so bad when  the doctor opened the door and called this dogs name, took his leash off and replaced it with a rope and put his collar and leash in a plastic ziploc and given back to the owner. the poor dog got dragged into the back with his tail between his legs. when i left with my new kitten i felt so guilty that i didnt take one of those dogs. I want to go back there so bad and adopt one. I cant stop watching animal planet and the show pit bulls and parolees and to be honest i have done some pretty good research and i think i would love to have a pitbull. but i dont know if i should. i have 2 toddlers, and a new baby in march, and 2 cats. I am a stay at home mom so the dog would rarely be alone.  I was just wondering if anybody has any advise or if anybody lives this way and if so could you share with me what it is like. Thank you so much.

Janet <3

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

A dog is only as good as the owner that raises them and takes time to train and socialize and love them. Pit Bulls are very good dogs and are good with people. I would get a younger dogs is possible and one that maybe has come from a family if they know.  Sometime older dogs have other baggage and with small children may be a lot of work with toddlers and a new baby. I like to get a pups around 10 - 12 weeks, even up to 6 months and get them into training the day I bring them home. Crate traning, a routine for house breaking, waiting for their dinner dish, teaching them to follow me and listen, precursor to come when called :)  

Have you had dogs before?  If you feel you have the room and time then I would say start looking. How soon before your baby is due if it is weeks you might want to wait if you have 3 or 4 months to spend with a puppy then go for it.

2protectivemom
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Taking on a dog is a huge responsibility especially if you are a new dog owner.  Doing it while pregnant with 2 toddlers is going to be even harder.  I'm not saying you can't do it, but it would be taking on alot. 

There are soo many things to consider when adopting from a shelter.....Has the dog been socialized?  Does the shelter temperament test dogs?  Don't get me wrong, I am all for it, but you have small children, cats and a baby on the way, you need to know how the dog will get along with them.   You also need to be 100% committed to the dog when you get it....they need daily walks, they will need to go out in the middle of the night, how will you feel towards the dog when it wakes you after you just fell asleep after a sleepless night and day with a cranky baby...or when it poops on the floor because you were bathing the kids and didn't let it out.  There are also vet bills to consider and heartworm and flea and tick meds to buy. 

Also, how does your husband feel about getting a dog?  Will he help take care of it?  Does he have experience with them? 

As for the breed.....Pit Bulls are VERY STRONG dogs, do you have the physical strength to handle it???  We had a St. Bernard, got her when she was 3 months old and by 6 months old I had a hard time handling her when she wanted something.  I had to start working out and lifting weights daily to keep her from pulling me when walking her on a leash because if she decided to bolt after a squirrel or another dog or cat, my arm would be ripped off.  Thankfully with the right training, she became obedient and she did finally calm down, but most people would have got rid of her or beat her.  (that's what I was told to do) I loved her and was 100 % comitted. 

There really is a lot to consider, because they aren't just dogs, they are family members and need to be treated as such. 

marshsmom
by Group Owner on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Getting a dog is a huge, lifelong commitment.  It sounds like you are already aware of that.  Pit bulls are a wonderful breed, I had 2 of my own years ago and I am currently caring for one that we rescued from a high kill shelter until she is ready for adoption (http://www.facebook.com/eviesjourney/ - Evie's Story :).  What I would suggest to you is that you find a local rescue that works with the breed and look into volunteering and fostering for them.  This will help a lot of dogs in need and it will give you an opportunity to spend some time with some different dogs and possibly bring one home as a foster.  I have been fostering dogs for nearly a decade and I promise it is the most rewarding thing I have ever done.  Good luck and keep us updated!

JanetElizabeth
by New Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Quoting marshsmom:

Getting a dog is a huge, lifelong commitment.  It sounds like you are already aware of that.  Pit bulls are a wonderful breed, I had 2 of my own years ago and I am currently caring for one that we rescued from a high kill shelter until she is ready for adoption (http://www.facebook.com/eviesjourney/ - Evie's Story :).  What I would suggest to you is that you find a local rescue that works with the breed and look into volunteering and fostering for them.  This will help a lot of dogs in need and it will give you an opportunity to spend some time with some different dogs and possibly bring one home as a foster.  I have been fostering dogs for nearly a decade and I promise it is the most rewarding thing I have ever done.  Good luck and keep us updated!

That sounds like a great idea. it might also help with the guilt that i have that i didnt try to take 1 of those dogs that were being surrendered at the shelter that day. Thanks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)