Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hematoma on ear

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 354 Total Views
Dh said that the dogs ear was looking bad again. She has ear infections/allergies so this is a constant battle.

I told dh to start her on the antibiotics and steroids again. The vet gives us extra incase she flares up again quickly. But tonight when i looked at her ear it is the flap part....and it is SO swollen and fillled with fluid! It looks horrible! I am almost in tears! I googled and it seems to be a hematoma.

Anyone have experience with this? Vet opens at 7:30 am....but that can't come soon enough! She is acting totally fine....but I am worried that she is hurting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChelseaatNutro
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:08 PM

It could very likely be a hematoma. Keep her from aggravating it, so no scratching at it, maybe have her wear a cone if she starts to mess with it. I would assume from ear infections, that with the head shaking this hematoma came. Try to keep her from head shaking too until you can see the vet. Please keep us updated.

NatalieMH
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM
I took her in this am. It is a hematoma. They gave me 3 options.....

-meds to fight any infection and let it heal on its own.

- drain with a syringe under sedation and then treat with meds.

-surgery to clean it out and meds.

I opted for #2. They are doing it right now and i will pick her up at 4. They could not do surgery today bc i fed her This am. Duh....should have thought of that one! If the draining does not work well i will have them do surgery on monday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NatalieMH
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you! Sounds like she will get to rock the cone of shame for a few weeks now. I just cant believe it got so big so fast!

Quoting ChelseaatNutro:

It could very likely be a hematoma. Keep her from aggravating it, so no scratching at it, maybe have her wear a cone if she starts to mess with it. I would assume from ear infections, that with the head shaking this hematoma came. Try to keep her from head shaking too until you can see the vet. Please keep us updated.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChelseaatNutro
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM

oh poor girl!! I am so glad you took her to her veterinarian so quickly! You are a great momma :] Please keep me updated on how her recovery goes after the hematoma is drained away.

Quoting NatalieMH:

I took her in this am. It is a hematoma. They gave me 3 options.....

-meds to fight any infection and let it heal on its own.

- drain with a syringe under sedation and then treat with meds.

-surgery to clean it out and meds.

I opted for #2. They are doing it right now and i will pick her up at 4. They could not do surgery today bc i fed her This am. Duh....should have thought of that one! If the draining does not work well i will have them do surgery on monday.

NatalieMH
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NatalieMH
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NatalieMH
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM
It went well! Recheck on monday am....hopefully surgery will not be needed. My 5yo decorated the back of the car for her ride home. She put her favorite teddy bear back there and her brothers favorite towel. She also hung a picture that she drew of a cat up there. She loves her dog!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChelseaatNutro
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:39 AM

LOL! I feel so bad for her, but she looks so adorable in that cone! Your daughter is too precious! She must really love her doggie :]

NatalieMH
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:16 PM
Well....Oconee ended up having the surgery on her ear today anyways :-/ by yesterday afternoon her ear looked like it was about to pop again.

It was rough. She did well but it hurts my heart so bad to see her hurt. She has a bandage on her head for 2 weeks. It has access to the ear though so that i can put meds in....omg....it is horrible looking! Dh will have to deal with that cause i just can't!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChelseaatNutro
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Oh no!! I'm sorry!! Just when I thought the worst of it was over :[ Poor girl!!!!

Did she get any medication for the pain?

She should have some good massage and cuddling :]

Quoting NatalieMH:

Well....Oconee ended up having the surgery on her ear today anyways :-/ by yesterday afternoon her ear looked like it was about to pop again.

It was rough. She did well but it hurts my heart so bad to see her hurt. She has a bandage on her head for 2 weeks. It has access to the ear though so that i can put meds in....omg....it is horrible looking! Dh will have to deal with that cause i just can't!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)