Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

another shock collar question!!

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:57 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 497 Total Views

Ok so a little background I have 2 dogs a shi tzu who is almost 2 and my 9 yr old wire fox terrier. They are both fixed. And are both males. My question really only is for my wft . We recently moved to a new place and he has been known to love a good escape and run every now and then.... fun for him amazingly terrifying for me. I always am right behind him running with a leash.. my shi tzu will run for 10 ft and decide he likes it inside much better and turn around lol but not my wft he books it. Ok so he plans iit out and is REALLY GOOD AT IT . this new place we are renting I'm not allowed to put a screen door up or anything in front of the door to block him. I have tried the whole no one goes near the door without him being locked up but with kids someone always slips up. So I finally went to the store and payed $100 for one of those shock collars that u put in your house to keep the dog away from things I opened it up and looked at my boy and I didn't have the heart to put it on him... the prongs are huge and it says u can't leave it on him for long periods of time.. so I just couldn't do it... Well a week later no joke, I went to take the garbage out and told my 6 yr old to stay inside she didn't and out goes my boy.. well by the time I got the kids shoes on. I ran up the street and there are 2 choices left or right he was nowhere to be seen. Well I went left and on my way back to check the other street I seen animal control ... he was hit by 2 cars head on! The animal control lady and the sweet man who actually pulled over to help (unlike the two people who hit him with their cars) him were amazed that he just got right up the sweet man walked over and picked him up. And my dog bit him , he was scared so they understood plus he is utd on all his shots so they weren't worried it wasn't bad. I ran him to the vet and he was cut up and bruised but ok! How amazing is that we are so lucky ! They gave him some puppy pain meds and he is doing great .. So I. Guess I should suck it up and put the collar on him? The vet agreed but I feel so horrible about it But at the same time what choice do I have. He already takes no less than 9 walks a day I'm not even kidding lol this dog LOVES to be outside so he knows that if he barks at the door I will take him on as many walks as he wants lol so its not like I can get him to exercise more he walks so much my shi tzu makes me carry him home after a while lol.

Ps I was so worried about my boy that I didn't even realize that the two people just hit him and ran! WTF I wouldn't have blamed them. I know he just ran out into the street in-front of their car. But friggin pull over see if the animal is ok is getting help. The sweet man who helped him wasn't one of them he only seen it happen and he kept saying I can't believe he just stood up they both hit him head on and then a few drove over him and he bounced off a pole also ... thank god he is ok.

by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 1:24 AM

You need to work with a trainer my dogs are all taught to sit and the door and they do not go out until they are invited to.  Find a trainer that can come to your home and walk you though what you need to do.  You dog also needs a recall meaning when you call him back her turns and comes back.  Any dogs can learn these things but it will take a long time since he has been allowed to get away with this for so long. If you want to keep him safe this is your best and only real option.

MyDragonFlies11
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 1:32 AM

even though he is older ? and I would love to have a recall word but wouldnt that be the same as come here? he knows that . he is really easy to train but when it comes to him getting excited then he does NOT care. cause he is trained to stay away from the door he knows where he should sit when the door opens and 99 out of 100 times he listens but its like every couple of months he just darts IDK what it is. he is pretty well trained except when it comes to this. I will try this I actually didnt even think of it since he is older. I mean Im open to anything really this new place is just way too easy for him to get out. 

Quoting NancSBRN:

You need to work with a trainer my dogs are all taught to sit and the door and they do not go out until they are invited to.  Find a trainer that can come to your home and walk you though what you need to do.  You dog also needs a recall meaning when you call him back her turns and comes back.  Any dogs can learn these things but it will take a long time since he has been allowed to get away with this for so long. If you want to keep him safe this is your best and only real option.

MyDragonFlies11
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Actually I think the main reason my kids get so relaxed with him by the door is cause most of the time he sits and waits where is is supposed to .. its just that every now and then that he darts its really like a professional hit lol 

marshsmom
by Group Owner on Oct. 19, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I agree with Nanc on training him.  I'm not a fan of shock collars.  Another option is to crate or tether him when you are going out and there is potential for someone to leave the door open.  As far as him being older, it doesn't matter, a dog of any age can learn new things. Good luck!  I'm glad he was okay after the cars hit him :)

ChelseaatNutro
by on Oct. 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I would recommend using an "airlock": A buffer in front of exits so that the dog must go through tow or more doors/ gates in order to escape.

By having an air lock, IE. ex-pen, set up inside the house surrounding the door, or outside the house surrounding the front door, he cannot escape so easily. This is a management tool I use in Behavior Adjustment Training, that I was certified through with Grisha Stewart.

I would recommend having a professional dog trainer come over to help you teach your dog impulse control when it comes to having a open door. It will take lots of time, and patience, but it can be taught! Here is a great video to watch by Victoria Stilwell, this is a great way to practice impulse control, but I would still use an airlock as prevention, and a professional dog trainer to assist you for a session or more if needed.

erinsmom1964
by Member on Oct. 20, 2012 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Come and them responding immediately is one of the very first commands to teach ANY dog no matter the age and IMO the one that always gets treated ALWAYS.  I have had Ms Sophie over 2 years and I still watch for oportunites of when she is sleeeping or chewing on a big bone or engageing the neighbors dog at the fence to yell COME.  I always praise and treat her so no matter what she is doing she immediatley stops and comes running.  the word come to her means mommy wants to love me and give me a treat. It has saved her life twice.  

Once when she was a wee pup and ran out the front door in the road and another time at the vet when she  followed the nurse out ( nurse asked her to) and was met head on with a cane corsco that didn't like other dogs.  

It is easy to train a dog to sit stay at a door.  I use a small rug that is placed where you want them to always sit stay when you answer the door or when people come in.  First you start by teaching sit stay on that rug.  then you add walking away.  Do not repeat yourself but use ah ah as the correction the first time they move.  If they don't immediately return to the sit stay go back and start over.  Next after that is mastered then leave the room.  Once that is mastered that they wait for you to release them without being able to see you then try the open door.  Training is simple if you just take baby steps and are consistent and positive.  I can't off the top of my head think of a good reason for a shock collar.  Now I am sure there may be I luckily have not come across one. 

MyDragonFlies11
by Member on Oct. 20, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Thanks he is already trained to come and sit when the door is opened its just idk why every couple of months he darts and nothing else matters :-\

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Come and them responding immediately is one of the very first commands to teach ANY dog no matter the age and IMO the one that always gets treated ALWAYS.  I have had Ms Sophie over 2 years and I still watch for oportunites of when she is sleeeping or chewing on a big bone or engageing the neighbors dog at the fence to yell COME.  I always praise and treat her so no matter what she is doing she immediatley stops and comes running.  the word come to her means mommy wants to love me and give me a treat. It has saved her life twice.  

Once when she was a wee pup and ran out the front door in the road and another time at the vet when she  followed the nurse out ( nurse asked her to) and was met head on with a cane corsco that didn't like other dogs.  

It is easy to train a dog to sit stay at a door.  I use a small rug that is placed where you want them to always sit stay when you answer the door or when people come in.  First you start by teaching sit stay on that rug.  then you add walking away.  Do not repeat yourself but use ah ah as the correction the first time they move.  If they don't immediately return to the sit stay go back and start over.  Next after that is mastered then leave the room.  Once that is mastered that they wait for you to release them without being able to see you then try the open door.  Training is simple if you just take baby steps and are consistent and positive.  I can't off the top of my head think of a good reason for a shock collar.  Now I am sure there may be I luckily have not come across one. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyDragonFlies11
by Member on Oct. 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this
thanks like I said I am not allowed to put anything infront of the door on the outside I am looking for a gate that I can attach on the inside that would be great

Quoting ChelseaatNutro:

I would recommend using an "airlock": A buffer in front of exits so that the dog must go through tow or more doors/ gates in order to escape.

By having an air lock, IE. ex-pen, set up inside the house surrounding the door, or outside the house surrounding the front door, he cannot escape so easily. This is a management tool I use in Behavior Adjustment Training, that I was certified through with Grisha Stewart.

I would recommend having a professional dog trainer come over to help you teach your dog impulse control when it comes to having a open door. It will take lots of time, and patience, but it can be taught! Here is a great video to watch by Victoria Stilwell, this is a great way to practice impulse control, but I would still use an airlock as prevention, and a professional dog trainer to assist you for a session or more if needed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyDragonFlies11
by Member on Oct. 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM
I am interested in maybe training him but he is already trained to sit in his spot when we go out the door and he does it 99% of the time and its for no rhyme or reason when he does this and as far as tethering him or crating him it wouldn't be possible cause it has never happened durring a planned opening of the door its always an out of the blue thing. I still haven't put it on him yet I am looking for some kind of a gate for the inside still

Quoting marshsmom:

I agree with Nanc on training him.  I'm not a fan of shock collars.  Another option is to crate or tether him when you are going out and there is potential for someone to leave the door open.  As far as him being older, it doesn't matter, a dog of any age can learn new things. Good luck!  I'm glad he was okay after the cars hit him :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 1:32 AM

I am sorry you missed the point.  Come should be every single time and I gave you explicit instructions how to accomplish that.  Your dog is not trained if they decide to think for themselves instead of doing what they are told.  Commands are not a request BUT to properly train a dog takes some effort...some time.....and some guidance.  I am not sure why you asked if you didn't want that.  I guess instead of assuming you could or would want to do it yourself i will digress to the other responses get a professional...although i doubt in the long run that will work as dogs are smart and KNOW whom they have to listen to and who they don't.

Quoting MyDragonFlies11:

Thanks he is already trained to come and sit when the door is opened its just idk why every couple of months he darts and nothing else matters :-\

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)