Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If this doesn't quit he will need a new home.

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 297 Total Views

I love my dog but he is on thin ice...if this nonsense doesn't quit, I will have to get rid of him. 

A little background... Our dog (Jude) is almost 2 yrs old and we have had him since he was 12 weeks. All in all he is a great dog (until recently). He is a full bred cocker spanial. He is amazing with our 4 yr old, even allows her to dress him up and wrestle with him...never so much as a growl. He is great with our cat and until a few weeks ago was fully house trained. 

He is now peeing everywhere! I just got out of the shower to find my down comforter soaked. I am livid and at a loss. I can't steam my carpets every day and I can't spot clean it bc unless you step in the wet spot you can't find it (my carpet doesn't show the stains..blessing and a curse) We did have another baby 6 wks ago and I thought maybe that was the cause but I need to know how to fix it. (we booted him from our bed when I came home from the hospital bc of my csection) We just let him back in our bed about a week ago but with all of the "accidents" he has been sleeping in his kennel which he hasn't needed in over a year. 

by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Baci3000
by Member on Oct. 20, 2012 at 7:53 AM
4 moms liked this
For starters, not trying to be snarky, but no matter how gentle and tolerant the dog, children should not be dressing them or wrestling with them. Children should be taught the correct way to interact with animals and not be allowed to dress and wrestle them just because she's a child.
You may want to make sure your dog isn't having a health issue. I would 100% be starting there. Make an appointment and have some bloodwork done. Do you notice any discolor in the urine, blood? I know it can be costly to go to the vet, but you should rule out health issues. If healthy, then you need to go back to working on training, relationship exercises, etc. Maybe the changes, new baby, no longer allowed on the bed, feeling left out, are causing the behavior as a way of getting your attention. Go back to praise and a reward for going potty outside immediately after going, not 5 minutes later when back in the house. Try to catch him going in the house and interrupt him mid pee with a loud clap and " Eh eh!" and take him straight outside. This means you will have to do your best to keep a close eye on him. Not easy with a 4 year old and a new baby, but necessary in order to fix the problem. Good luck! Keep us posted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hez3
by Member on Oct. 20, 2012 at 12:50 PM
I agree with the other reply . Make sure it is not medical but it does sound like it has to do to the new baby. I would consult a trainer
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ChelseaatNutro
by on Oct. 20, 2012 at 8:49 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree with what Baci3000 has said, I would like to add that if Jude's check up at the vet is all clear, and the vet ruled out any medical issue, that he should not be free roaming the house unless he potties outside. I understand you have a new baby, so it could be stress related on his part, but if Jude does not potty outside when you take him, he shouldn't have free roam privilidges in the house. If he doesn't go potty and you gave him a 10 minute opportunity, then I would crate him for 15-20 minutes and take him back outside again for round 2. That way we are building him up for success and not allowing him the opportunity to have the accident inside with management. Here is a great video by Dr. Ian Dunbar. It's an oldie but a goodie! Potty consultation.

Quoting Baci3000:

For starters, not trying to be snarky, but no matter how gentle and tolerant the dog, children should not be dressing them or wrestling with them. Children should be taught the correct way to interact with animals and not be allowed to dress and wrestle them just because she's a child.
You may want to make sure your dog isn't having a health issue. I would 100% be starting there. Make an appointment and have some bloodwork done. Do you notice any discolor in the urine, blood? I know it can be costly to go to the vet, but you should rule out health issues. If healthy, then you need to go back to working on training, relationship exercises, etc. Maybe the changes, new baby, no longer allowed on the bed, feeling left out, are causing the behavior as a way of getting your attention. Go back to praise and a reward for going potty outside immediately after going, not 5 minutes later when back in the house. Try to catch him going in the house and interrupt him mid pee with a loud clap and " Eh eh!" and take him straight outside. This means you will have to do your best to keep a close eye on him. Not easy with a 4 year old and a new baby, but necessary in order to fix the problem. Good luck! Keep us posted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)