Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where do you start?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 260 Total Views
We will be adding a new puppy to our family this december, and I want to train him/her the best way possible. Of coarse I will start house training asap, although in my experience 12 weeks and up is easier to house train.

My question is: is there something I could follow as far as training goes? I am really interested in clicker training but have no way to start.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
ChelseaatNutro
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I would recommend reading "Before and After You Get Your Puppy", this is a free book you can download. Dr. Ian Dunbar, who started the first off leash puppy class 30 years ago, wrote this book and has it available to the public for free. In the potty training section of the book Dr. Ian Dunbar has great advice to help teach you how to properly potty train your dog. 

Clickers a great tool to use to help teach your dog new tricks and behaviors. We use the clicker to mark the exact moment your dog did something correct/desirable. So in example you can click the clicker and give a treat as soon as your puppy squats to poop/pee. You have marked the pooping/peeing behavior and rewarded the puppy with a treat. What's nice about the clicker is that it provides a sound that is not commonly heard in the puppies everyday world. It's high pitched and quick! Anytime you click the clicker it produces the same sound every time. This is great because consistency is so important. Your puppy will understand almost immediately that the clicker sound means that whatever behavior or trick they did, that they'll be rewarded for it. Here is a great video to watch and learn how to use the clicker, and get your dog to understand it by Victoria Stilwell on Clicker Training.

Here is another great video by Victoria Stilwell, to help out with the potty training :] But I would still recommend that you read Dr. Ian Dunbar's books too. I have all of my clients who take my puppy kindergarten and puppy prep class read these books before starting my classes. It answers so many of your questions and helps you understand how to build your puppy up for success!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)