Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone seen, heard of, or tried this?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:44 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 437 Total Views
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChelseaatNutro
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I have tried this leash wrapping technique to reduce pulling, but I still prefer a halti headcollar or a wonder walker harness over this. I feel that it does not work as well as other methods.

marshsmom
by Group Owner on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM

What is the wonder walker?  I'll have to google.  My bloodhound is C_R_A_Z_Y on leash and she has the strength of a bull, lol.

Quoting ChelseaatNutro:

I have tried this leash wrapping technique to reduce pulling, but I still prefer a halti headcollar or a wonder walker harness over this. I feel that it does not work as well as other methods.

marshsmom
by Group Owner on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I gave it a try last night during our walk and she didn't pull as much, but she still pulled enough for me to say this wasn't really effective.  She didn't seem to respond to it at all, and in fact the leash corrections work better and I couldn't do that with the leash in this position.  Oh well, I may try the halti collar.  Eventually she will be trained and it won't be an issue but in the meantime she is killing my hands and nearly dragging me to the ground at times (especially passing another dog or a cat).  She not going nutso and barking, but she really wants to go"that" way, lol.

hez3
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:55 AM

I like the pinch collar. I have had good results with it

hez3
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:56 AM

I alwayts wanted a bloodhound!

Quoting marshsmom:

What is the wonder walker?  I'll have to google.  My bloodhound is C_R_A_Z_Y on leash and she has the strength of a bull, lol.

Quoting ChelseaatNutro:

marshsmom
by Group Owner on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM
She is my love! You can see a picture of her in the Show and Tell post. We got her last April from a shelter, she is a total sweetheart :)

Quoting hez3:

I alwayts wanted a bloodhound!

Quoting marshsmom:

Quoting ChelseaatNutro:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AliKatAK47
I'm bored
Today at 10:40 AM
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:38 PM

That trick has been around forever. When I used to volunteer for Animal Control up in NY they would tell me to do that. I don't think it works very well.

underHISwing
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:18 AM

There's a take on this that some people use for tracking... it's the Mendota EZ trainer   

We used it.  It helped, but didn't quite work like we'd hoped.  A fursaver modified to fit snugly up around the ears works best for me.

Gooberzilla
by New Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I'm going to try this.  Bella is a really sweet dog, she is very smart and has learned every trick I've tried to teach her so far (sometimes within a day or less)  EXCEPT leash walking.  Every walk is a struggle, especially since its been snowing here and I haven't been able to go on a huge number of practice walks.  I've tried the gentle leader and the easy walker harness.  Neither are super effective with the pulling.  I will try this trick on our next walk and let you know how it goes.  :)

marshsmom
by Group Owner on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM

This looks interesting.  Thanks for sharing!

Quoting underHISwing:

There's a take on this that some people use for tracking... it's the Mendota EZ trainer   

We used it.  It helped, but didn't quite work like we'd hoped.  A fursaver modified to fit snugly up around the ears works best for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)