Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My husband just brought home a puppy

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:28 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 414 Total Views

My husband brought home a lab mix puppy that was abandoned outside in Minnesota's negative degree winter. He's kind of skinny and smells like oil, which makes sense as they found him in a junk yard. He fell asleep in my lap right away but woke up when my husband cooked some venison, which he is feeding the puppy now.

Do I give him a bath tonight or wait till tomorrow? We don't get paid till the end of the week, will it be okay if I wait to take him into the vet? I wasn't really expecting a puppy. . .Also, when he sleeps he twitches A LOT. Is this normal for a puppy? Or is there something wrong with him?

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
marshsmom
by Group Owner on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Can you guess how old the puppy is?  You can look at his teeth and tell if he still has puppy teeth or not.  Bathing him should be fine, but I would use baby shampoo or plain blue Dawn dish soap.  If he is really young or small be sure to give him a heating pad and try to dry him really well so he won't get a chill.  Puppies do twitch a lot when they sleep, it's a developmental thing.  Thank you for taking this little guy in.  Your hubby sounds like an awesome guy!

marshsmom
by Group Owner on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Forgot to answer about the vet.  If possible he should go sooner rather than later, but if he is eating/drinking well and his poop is normal, his gums are bright pink and he is not vomiting you should be okay. I would keep him isolated from other pets if at all possible until the vet gives him an all clear.

Celtic_Dragon
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:29 AM

No idea how old he is. What do puppy teeth look like? I've never had a puppy this young before. He eats dog food good. He's starting to pudge out some. We can't feel his ribs as badly as we did when we got him. 

He's pooping and peeing good. All over my house. :( Drives me bonkers. I have no idea how to potty train a dog. I want him to go outside, how do you teach him to bark at the door or some kind of indicator to let me know he's got to go out?

Also, how much are shots and how old does he have to get fixed? How much does that usually cost? I have to budget that in, so I want to ballpark figure. 

Quoting marshsmom:

Can you guess how old the puppy is?  You can look at his teeth and tell if he still has puppy teeth or not.  Bathing him should be fine, but I would use baby shampoo or plain blue Dawn dish soap.  If he is really young or small be sure to give him a heating pad and try to dry him really well so he won't get a chill.  Puppies do twitch a lot when they sleep, it's a developmental thing.  Thank you for taking this little guy in.  Your hubby sounds like an awesome guy!

marshsmom
by Group Owner on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Sort of like childrens teeth, only sharper, lol.  Puppies are born tootheless and then they get baby teeth at about 6 weeks.  Between 4 and 6 months they will usually get their adult teeth in.  The puppy teeth are small and sharp, while the adult teeth are much larger.  You could probably google for pics.

For the potty training, I would recommend a schedule and a crate.  If he is less than a few months he'll need 3 meals a day, but by about 6 months old he should be fine with one or two meals a day.  Feed at the same times each day and feed only the prescribed amount from the bag.  If you give treats during training only give him a small pinch.  He only needs enough to taste, anything more can mess up the schedule. Pick up his water about an hour before you go to bed.  His crate training should also work on a schedule.  So he sleeps in the crate at night.  Wake up at a routine time each morning and let puppy out of the crate.  Take him immediately outside to potty.  Wait 15 minutes for him to potty.  If he does give him a reward and praise.  If he doesn't he goes back to the crate for 15 minutes, then back outside, repeat as necessary until he potties outside. During the day I would take him out every hour or so and monitor him closely.  If you can't watch him, crate him.  I would take him out 30 minutes after meals, if he doesn't go potty use the crate every 15 minutes until he does.  If you feed him at the same times everyday his body will get on a schedule and you will learn how frequently he needs to relieve himself.  By praising him when he goes outside, he will eventually learn this is the place to do it and you will learn his cues.  You can also hand a bell on the door and ring it each time you go out to potty.  Many dogs will learn to nudge the bell when they want out.

Shots and other costs can vary depending on your vet/clinic and the size of your dog.  I would recommend a vet visit as soon as possible, as puppies can be very suseptible to disease and the pravo vax is particularly important when they are young.  The puppy shots will be a bit more than the yearly's that follow, but they should do a thourough exam and probably deworm him.  The spay/neuter surgery can also vary greatly, some vets will do an early s/n surgery while others want to wait until 6 months, so it's really up to you and the vet/clinic you choose.  I would suggest calling a shelter or rescue near you and asking about low cost clinics.  Also don't feel that you have to use the vet for all procedures.  You may be happy with the cost of shots, but you may be able to get a low cost s/n surgery through your local shelter, then just a follow up with your vet. Don't forget to also ask about monthly preventatives for fleas and heartworms.

Hope this helps!

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

No idea how old he is. What do puppy teeth look like? I've never had a puppy this young before. He eats dog food good. He's starting to pudge out some. We can't feel his ribs as badly as we did when we got him. 

He's pooping and peeing good. All over my house. :( Drives me bonkers. I have no idea how to potty train a dog. I want him to go outside, how do you teach him to bark at the door or some kind of indicator to let me know he's got to go out?

Also, how much are shots and how old does he have to get fixed? How much does that usually cost? I have to budget that in, so I want to ballpark figure. 

Quoting marshsmom:

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:50 AM

If you do not have a crate pen him up in a easy to clean area if possible you could put down a tarp or newspaper. And set up a routine for him.  Wake up out right away, you need to stay out until he goes even in the freezing weather I am from the MidWest and know how cold it gets but if you dn't wait he will learn to wait and go when he is brought in. I am in Oregon now and have to go out in the pouring rain if I get a put this time of year :)

Feed him within 10 minutes outside again, feed and out on a schedule, take up water a couple hours before beditime they will sleep better at night if you do this.

Crates work best but if you do not have one and can't get on right off penning him in a space of his own is best. Put a blanket or bed in there for him and lots of toys too and feed him in there generally dogs will not potty where they eat.  You can use Bells on the door to train him to let you know when to go out but first you just have to teach him and make that a routine.

Good luck.

Celtic_Dragon
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:47 PM

It is -30 with wind this week. No one should be outside more than 5-10 minutes in this kind of weather.

Quoting NancSBRN:

If you do not have a crate pen him up in a easy to clean area if possible you could put down a tarp or newspaper. And set up a routine for him.  Wake up out right away, you need to stay out until he goes even in the freezing weather I am from the MidWest and know how cold it gets but if you dn't wait he will learn to wait and go when he is brought in. I am in Oregon now and have to go out in the pouring rain if I get a put this time of year :)

Feed him within 10 minutes outside again, feed and out on a schedule, take up water a couple hours before beditime they will sleep better at night if you do this.

Crates work best but if you do not have one and can't get on right off penning him in a space of his own is best. Put a blanket or bed in there for him and lots of toys too and feed him in there generally dogs will not potty where they eat.  You can use Bells on the door to train him to let you know when to go out but first you just have to teach him and make that a routine.

Good luck.

marshsmom
by Group Owner on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Geez-um-petes!  I would die in 5 minutes or less, lol.  I'm in south Louisiana where it's sunny and in the upper 60s to low 70s.

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

It is -30 with wind this week. No one should be outside more than 5-10 minutes in this kind of weather.

Quoting NancSBRN:

Celtic_Dragon
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Yes. I miss hating the humidity and the bugs. LOL. I would rather that than this miserable cold snap. My car wouldn't even start the other day. It's so cold, your hand freezes the to the ignition.

I want to start teaching our dog to walk on a leash, but we aren't doing ANY walking in this kind of weather. All well. GUess we wait for a few months.

Quoting marshsmom:

Geez-um-petes!  I would die in 5 minutes or less, lol.  I'm in south Louisiana where it's sunny and in the upper 60s to low 70s.

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

Quoting NancSBRN:

underHISwing
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I'm in Alaska, and last winter we had a puppy ( he was a May puppy) and got record snow.  We, too, had to be creative with exercise and training.  We do obedience traning in the house, walked on a treadmill, and taught him to go potty on command with a clicker.  Unlike you, we had the benefit of having him potty trained before the cold hit, thankfully.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN