Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meds for my dog??

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:21 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 756 Total Views

went to the vet today, and my poor 1 yr old pit has a skin allergy. Doc says its probably food related so we are doing a whole new diet for him, which is fine, adding in triple omega tabs, and some vit e. She did give me 500mg Cephalexin antibiotic, that he needs to take for like 21 days (long time?? I read it was only supposd to be 10-14! ?)  and she gave me prednisone, which after knowing the kind of drug it is (i've had to take it in the past) and reading the horrible side effects it has for dogs, I won't be giving it to him. I will do the food route first. She is having me pick up a pro biotic for him on Monday, which I think will work better with the food  too. 

Has anyone given these 2 meds to their dog? 

Edit:The more I read about the antibiotic now too, the more I dislike it for the dog! I read a few pet sites now that say it truly isnt something that should be given to him...

by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
DJLadyK
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:10 PM

BUMP!

marshsmom
by Group Owner on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:18 AM

The allergies probably caused a secondary infection which would need antibiotics.  I'm not big on giving prednisone, but I have when needed.  I always recommend that people follow your vets advice. If you don't feel comfortable talk to your vet about alternatives or get a second opinion.  Hope your pup is feeling better soon!

DJLadyK
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM

yeah I dont feel comfy  giving him the prednisone at all! The side effects are just too terrible...the antibiotics I will talk to her about since I am not too keen on them either. I asked what they were for, and she just said "inflammation"...(so why not just take carprofen?)... She did give me a powder probiotic to give him in his food, so that will help some as well as his change of food.

DJLadyK
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I talked to the vet and she convinced me to try the antibiotics at least...but I wont do the prednisone yet unless I do not see an improvement with all we are doing now...(food, supplements, probiotics etc..)  crossing my fingers for him!

DJLadyK
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 4:55 PM

can the antibiotics make him more aggressive towards my other dog?

marshsmom
by Group Owner on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:11 PM
I wouldn't think so. Is your dog suddenly acting aggressive? It could be due to discomfort from not feeling well.

Quoting DJLadyK:

can the antibiotics make him more aggressive towards my other dog?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)