Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sick dog - Need advice - Kind of TMI

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:33 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 511 Total Views

I need some advice about my 2 1/2 year old corgi. The details are probably a little gross but I'm starting to get really worried and I don't personally know anyone with dogs to ask.

On Tuesday I came home from work and there were several piles of diarrhea by our back door (inside). I let Percy outside in our fenced backyard, cleaned up the mess, sanitized the floor, washed his bowls and bedding, and gave him a new bowl of water. Starting Tuesday night he was getting white rice and ground chicken for meals. I took him outside frequently but he still had a couple of accidents over night. Other then seeming to be upset about pooping in the house (he looked so depressed, not kidding!) he was fine. He's been playful and his usual self all week. He stopped having accidents but his stool remained very loose and kind of dark. I kept him on the rice/chicken diet all week. Well, this morning he had two more accidents in the house and now his poop is VERY dark (but not black or red) and mucus-y or jelly-like.

I have a vet appointment scheduled on Monday morning for a check up and to get his nails clipped. I'm going to address all of this then. When I called earlier in the week the vet said as long as he was behaving normally other than the diarrhea that I shouldn't worry. This has been going on for several days now and I THINK he's starting to seem a little lethargic. He still runs around and gets excited to go for a walk and he's eating fine. He might be drinking a little less. I can't tell if his gums are tacky. I don't know what they're normally supposed to feel like. My DH says they're wet but I feel like they're sticky or tacky. I switched his water in his bowls to "smart water" and I've offered him gatorade (vet said I could). Is there anything else I should be doing?? Anything I should be looking out for? Should I withhold food? If so, for how long?

Wanted to add: He is totally up to date on all of his shots. He hasn't vomited at all. He did have a small bone on Monday afternoon. He also got a new toy on Monday night that he tore up. I THINK I got all the pieces of it before he ate any of them but now I'm not so sure. His abdomen isn't hard or distended. He isn't growly or weird. Today he has been a little more clingy than normal. I did recently start walking him in a new area at night. I haven't noticed him eating anything (I would stop him if I saw it) but I guess it is possible he got into something.

I appreciate any and all advice!!

by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
KyliesMom5
by Group Admin on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:49 AM

He may have eaten something that does not agree with him. Have you tried having him fast for 24 hours? I would try giving his tummy a break and see if that helps. It could also be that he has developed a sensitive tummy. That happened to one of my dogs as she got older.

xElizabethx
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM

He has always been VERY picky about dog food. We've gone through so many different kinds. He loved Innova until they sold the company and then I guess the formula changed because he just stopped eating it. We did switch his food to a grain-free brand called Wellness a little over a month ago. Before that he was on Science diet. We switched the food gradually over a week and didn't see any issues.

I haven't tried fasting. I'm thinking maybe I should. His appetite seems normal, in fact, he seems pretty hungry. I've held off on not feeding him because of that but tonight it occurred to me that maybe feeding him just means he's going to have more bathroom issues right now which could result in dehydration. Right? At least I think that is how it works.

Thank you for the advice!

TommyAbby
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:43 PM

If you can, bring a stool sample with you to the vet. You can also check it for worms.. sometimes you can see them. That's the only thing I can think of based on your description. 

2ndchances123
by New Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:54 PM
This same thing happend to my dog. I cut him off dog food compleatly and started making homemade dog food, its tedious, and time consuming but he has never been healthier. I had him on exspencive dog food. It got stale, and he was allergic to the grain. Science diet is so so bad for your dog. Good thing you switched. Do some research, it could still be the dog food.
shinybright
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I would suggest that you call the vet and review all your dog's symptoms with him/her - I would  mention that you believe your dog ingested some inedible items.  I would be concerned about bowel perforation and peritonitis.  I hope your pet is feeling better soon!

xElizabethx
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Thanks for all the advice, ladies! :)

The vet visit went okay (other than Percy almost breaking my hand) and he got a clean bill of health. The vet did blood work and checked out his stool sample but didn't find anything. She said this just happens sometimes and he probably ate something that didn't agree with him. It is possible my daughter was feeding him something during the time I had him on just rice and chicken. I completely forgot about the sweet potato/canned pumpkin fix until my dad gave me a bunch of sweet potatoes from his garden. I gave the dog a raw sweet potato and that seemed to fix whatever the issue was.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)