Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Barking

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 11:11 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 208 Total Views
Just a quick question..
I recently adopted 2 dogs. They absolutely love each other but my lab/pit mix Roscoe (P. Cotrain!) barks...a lot...at nothing. He'll just sit and bark while my other dog is somewhere else doing her own thing or even when their playing. There is no one around, no animals in the yard, no birds. I figured maybe he's bored but he has someone to play with! I don't mind so much but at 6:30am it's a bit much and I'm worried my neighbors are going to get mad. I play with them through out the day but I do have a little boy. Roscoe is healthy too and he's going to be neutered tomorrow (he's 3 ish)
Am I missing something?

Please visit and help out: http://www.cafemom.com/group/king-county-coalition  

On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the Escape key

by on Jun. 28, 2007 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
gab15th
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2007 at 7:34 AM
Some dogs do like to hear their voices.  Sounds like your kiddo, just wants attention, even when he's playing with the other dog, he wants you, or he wants the other dog to pay attention to him.  Chances are that at one part of his life he was rewarded for this behavoir.  What you can start doing is rewarding him for being quiet.  Next I would try to find what correction would let him know barking is not ok.  Some hate water (but he has lab in him, probably won't work), some hate a loud noise that startles them, and some need a physical correction from some sort of collar.  I'd just first teach him what quiet means.  I hate correcting a dog who doesn't even understand what quiet means. 

*Side Note*  No Bark Collars- I do not recommend these collars.  If you need to use electric, by all means do, but the no bark collars are no good!!!  They correct with bad timing and can cause more damage then good!  And if you do decide (this is for anyone reading this for any reason) to go with an electric collar please do so under a trainer's guidance!  E-collars can be wonderful when used correctly, but usually first time users will do it incorrectly!
sleepy_mommy
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 11:11 AM
Thanks! He's been really good as long as my other pup isn't around...oh there he goes again! BTW I totally agree about the shock collars. I could never resort to that~I bumped him in the nose by accident the other day and he gave me the puppy eyes and I felt awful-I don't know what I'd to if I actually hurt him!

Please visit and sign the petition at : http://www.cafemom.com/group/king-county-coalition  

On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the Escape key

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)