Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP iVE GOT 2 Problems

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:00 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 311 Total Views
1. My daughters Brittany spaniel got sprayed by a skunk. How do I get that fool to settle down. The basket case is everywhere. The receptionist at a vets office is talking doggie downers. Is there any other way?
He smells so bad the other dogs are groweling at him & I don't particularly want him to tutch me.
He is staying in his kennell.

2. We adopted a new dog today. Her former owner is going to IRAQ.
Our pitt puppy is giving her a hard time. Not good since this big pitt isn't bothering her in any way.
The fool pup eats everything and almost choked herself to death this afternoon.
The pup is the problem, she was even willing to let herself be dognaped for junk food.
any suggestions?

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
elfwolfe
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 2:15 AM
I had always been told that if a dog gets sprayed by a skunk to bathe them in tomato juice, the acid in it will neutralize the smell and it may take more than one bath to rid it to a tolerable level. Personally I never had to do it, so I don't know how well it works.

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

gab15th
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2007 at 8:20 AM
Ok, for the skunky kid, you can buy products to remove the skunk smell.  They aren't miracles, but it will keep the oil from spreading.  I wonder if anyone's tried baking soda or vinegar on dogs?  Hummmm, they get almost any smell out...  (my sister febreezes her dogs when they get skunked, but I'm sure htat's toxic)  And the only way to get a brittney to settle down is to give him a job to do, and plenty of exercise.. just the way those retrievers are, doggie downers just are a bandaid.  Allright the pit kids,  to stop the food gobbling, soak his food for a minute or two in warm water, he will still gobble, but the food will be mushier and at least you remove the choaking hazard.  You're best bet to control his love of food, is big time obedience.  Then you can call him off of the older kid, call him away from stray food, and teach him to drop food on command.  My german shepherd who loves food will spit out dog kibble if I tell her out.  Good Luck, and let us know how it goes!

Check out my groups  www.cafemom.com/group/dogtraining  and www.cafemom.com/groups/christianhousewives , hope to see you there!

andreamarie
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2007 at 11:58 AM
Hi again. I am sorry to say its not just food. I got 1/2 a plastic easter egg out of her yesterday. She will eat anything.
gab15th
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2007 at 12:06 PM
My malinois pup is the same way.  Unfourtantly all you can do is treat them like a toddler, and always keep an eye on them and keep everything out of reach...  He has eaten 2 sprinklers, a bubble blower, 1 garden hose, and who knows what else.  My fiance just sends him out in the yard for exercise, then forgets about him, I go out the next morning to water my flowers, and the yard looks as though a tornado of shredders had been there!

Check out my groups  www.cafemom.com/group/dogtraining  and www.cafemom.com/groups/christianhousewives , hope to see you there!

andreamarie
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2007 at 3:33 PM
OMG I thought my Diana was bad. Her favorite thing for almost 14 yrs (her whole life) was ELECTRIC CORDS. She got burns on her lips and inside mouth 1 time. Her vet said he had no idea why she was still alive. She even finally learned to pull them out of the wall w/o shocking herself. Everytime the music to DALLAS would start she unplugged the tv.
gab15th
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2007 at 4:56 PM

Quoting andreamarie:

OMG I thought my Diana was bad. Her favorite thing for almost 14 yrs (her whole life) was ELECTRIC CORDS. She got burns on her lips and inside mouth 1 time. Her vet said he had no idea why she was still alive. She even finally learned to pull them out of the wall w/o shocking herself. Everytime the music to DALLAS would start she unplugged the tv.

LOL, see they don't learn to not do it again, they learn how to do it better!  Thank God she never got really injured! 

SkijorinMom
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 10:42 AM
I recently had to bathe my dogs due to a skunk--darn thing!   I tried the baking soda mixed with peroxide and a dab of dish soap.  It really worked, the odor was still there, but only when you buried your face in thier fur.  They have recipes on line--(I got mine from the vet clinic I work at) I'll post it when I find it :)
Just a side note--the peroxide can change the color of the fur--especially on dark doggys!
SkijorinMom
by on Aug. 3, 2007 at 7:04 PM
Skunk Deodorant Recipe
1 Quart 3 % Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 Cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid soap
Mix in a plastic bucket and wash the affected animal or object taking care to protect eyes, nose and mouth.  Leave on for one hour and then rinse. 

NOTE:  I left it on for around 15 min. and it still did the trick.
Jayme
by on Aug. 3, 2007 at 11:27 PM

Quoting SkijorinMom:

Skunk Deodorant Recipe
1 Quart 3 % Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 Cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid soap
Mix in a plastic bucket and wash the affected animal or object taking care to protect eyes, nose and mouth.  Leave on for one hour and then rinse. 

NOTE:  I left it on for around 15 min. and it still did the trick.
This mix works so great!  I worked at a dog kennel and summertime was always FILLED with skunk baths and this is what we used.  Keep in mind, though, that the next time the dog gets wet, the smell will kind of still be there.  It takes awhile for that scent to get out of their pores.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)