Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Putting weight on a dog...PIOG

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:16 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 208 Total Views

As some of you know we adopted a German Shep. mix from the Shelter this weekend... he is amazing, we love him so much already!!  Well, he is very verrrry skinny...is ribs and hip bones are sticking out and his coat is dull.  I know that all I need to do is fatten him up a little and the oils in the coat will be restored, ect.  I usually use just a puppy food to fatten up a dog, but I feel like he needs something that will work a little quicker...has anyone ever made "satin balls" for their pets?  He is wormed and totally up to date on everything, so I know he does not need worming... any suggestions?

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
hms1223
by Member on Dec. 16, 2008 at 8:12 AM

I have used Satin Balls many times for rescue dogs and they work terrific!  Just google the recipie and go with the easiest one.  there are some really complicated ones out there!

Good luck!

elfwolfe
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 8:13 AM

What are  "satin balls"???

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker >

Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

hms1223
by Member on Dec. 16, 2008 at 9:34 PM

Satin Balls are literally a ball of really high fat yummy stuff for dogs that are really underweight.  They are used as a supplement to regular meals and treats until the dog puts on weight and can be weaned off of them and onto regular food.  There are many recipies for them out there from very complex ones using all sorts of ingrediants to simple things using high fat hamburger and molasses ect. 

They really should only be used for VERY underweight dogs because they pack the pounds on quickly and they are all fat!  For example the last dog I used them with was a Bullmastiff male who was 9 months old so should have been about 90-100 pounds.  He came to me at just under 65.  Picture a walking skeleton with a huge head!  We used these to help him gain weight so that he could have his shots and neutering once he was healthy enough.

Hope that explains it well!

elfwolfe
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:28 AM

Yes, it does. Thank you.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker >

Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

hms1223
by Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Just wondering how it is going?  Anything work for you?

ItalianMomma04
by Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:34 PM

I thought the same thing. So I searched it. I am glad someone posted the question because we just got a great dane puppy who was extremely underweight and we feed and feed, but he still looks so thin. I'm going to try them now.

Quoting elfwolfe:

What are "satin balls"???

Elizabeth

Trusting in God Each Day

Contact me for Info on How to purchase Original "Cyndee" Paintings!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)