• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have to stop the dogs' barking...they're waking up the baby.

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:50 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 332 Total Views

Help!  I have two dachshunds, and they bark at EVERYTHING.  The nighttime is ok - they sleep and are quiet.  During the day, though, they bark at everything and go crazy if someone comes to the door, and they keep waking up my son during naps.  I'm losing it, and he's not getting the sleep he needs.

I can't afford to hire a trainer or anything right now.  Any books I can read?  Suggestions?

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KyliesMom5
by Group Admin on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:29 AM

training is the key and you don't have to hire a dog trainer.  If the door is a trigger for them you need to desinsitive them to it.   Teach them to either sit/stay when  someone comes to the door or to lay down. another thing you could try is when the door bell rings you distract them with a soup marrow bone or something like that they would want to lay down and chew instead.   You can also try shaking a can with coins it to brake the cycle or a pspray bottle but i would work on the obediance training that will help even more.   If you have leave leash on them in the beginning so that you can get a hold of them i would that until you have things better under control.  This is not a quick fix and will take some time but it will help stop the behavior.   You might also try playing a cd in your sons room that might help muffle things a bit.   i do use a citronella collor on my dogs when needed.  I think they are great training tools and will help stop the excessive barking but it is just a training tool it is not meant as a quick fix if you do use one you need to to the training on top of that so that it truly works to fix the problem. 

montanamom40
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:17 AM

we have eight ! very protective cowdogs ( live on a ranch) and 2 little humans - whenever the dogs think there is someone at the door it sounds like the hounds of hell! There is no way I am ever going to break them of it - the best that has happened is when I tell them to be quiet ,now, they mostly listen! I would suggest realistically and easiest - get a couple dog crates, put them somewhere where the barking won't be heard, and lock the buggers up while baby is napping

devonsmom
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:44 AM

i have three dogs in the house and the only time they will shut up is if i am actually standing in front of them with my hands on my hips staring them down. i did the spray bottle, loud noise to distract them, reprimands, and everyhting else. i .. lol, they are barking right now, at absolutely nothing... i finally found if i turn on the tv or the radio in the room they are in it must muffle, hide or distract them from other outdoor noises and they are much quieter. it is mostly the maltipoo that starts it, but the pom definitely doesnt need an invitation, ... the only one who doesnt bark hardly at all is my pit. there has to be a good reason for him to bark.  i think they were right when they called little dogs yappers. try closing them off in a room during nap time and turning on a radio or tv.  i agree with training and it takes a long time to accomplish. but sometimes you need a quick fix, or there is always the little one who is resistant to whatever method you are training them with.  good luck  

http://www.cafemom.com/group/4584  animals-in- photography

http://www.cafemom.com/group/39073/  

families of murder victims       

Gr8NavyWife
by New Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Get them bark collars.  I know that some people think they are cruel, but they are effective.  Wal-mart carries them.  Since they are shorthaired dogs, you wouldn't have to use a high setting on them.  A dog needs to be corrected immediately upon doing something wrong for them to connect the wrong thing to the punishment.  There are also things for barking that you set up in an area, and if it hears barking it makes a sound (we can't hear it unless it is set on audible) that will distract them and make them stop.  I think that was called the Bark Free.  We used it on the neighbor's dogs. :-)  Also, there is a hand held device that you can point at the dog and press the button - it also makes a noise.  I can't remember the name of that one, but I bought it at Sam's Club.    Good luck!!!!

Artladydp
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Quoting Gr8NavyWife:

Also, there is a hand held device that you can point at the dog and press the button - it also makes a noise.  I can't remember the name of that one, but I bought it at Sam's Club.    Good luck!!!!

We got one of these.  It's called a "dazzer".  They work very well for barking.  They are fairly inexpensive, too.

LLGina
by Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 1:13 PM

I use training dics. They are metal discs on a keyring now i only have to show them to the dogs and they shut up. They come with a booklet on how to condition the dog to them but they are a lifesaver for me with 3 dogs and a 21 month toddler! Or you could look them up on the internet.

Heres a pic

devonsmom
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Quoting Gr8NavyWife:

.  There are also things for barking that you set up in an area, and if it hears barking it makes a sound (we can't hear it unless it is set on audible) that will distract them and make them stop.  I think that was called the Bark Free.  We used it on the neighbor's dogs. :-) 

i wish that one would have worked on my dogs, but it plum peeved off the maltipoo! he barked, i could tell by the light, the thing was going off and the more it went off the more he barked like he was having a danged barking contest with it. tried it at different times for two weeks, finally took it back and got my money back... for proof i brought my dog to the store and said turn it on. i told him to speak, the thing went off and my dog almost lost his mind trying to get to it, lol, they gladly refunded my money.  i guess the point is different things work with different dogs, just try to find the one that is best for you.  there are a lot of great replies on here to try out..

http://www.cafemom.com/group/4584  animals-in- photography

http://www.cafemom.com/group/39073/  

families of murder victims       

Gr8NavyWife
by New Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 10:22 PM

That's funny!!!!!  I'm sorry it didn't work for you!  Did you ever try the one that was supposed to spray something at their nose?  I didn't do that one - I went straight for "shock treatment."  We were so sick of our neighbors dogs though!  They also kept trying to dig under our fence.  Finally, I blew up small ballons and buried them in the holes & covered them up.  They dug, balloons popped, dogs didn't dig anymore.  :-)

Quoting devonsmom:

Quoting Gr8NavyWife:

.  There are also things for barking that you set up in an area, and if it hears barking it makes a sound (we can't hear it unless it is set on audible) that will distract them and make them stop.  I think that was called the Bark Free.  We used it on the neighbor's dogs. :-) 

i wish that one would have worked on my dogs, but it plum peeved off the maltipoo! he barked, i could tell by the light, the thing was going off and the more it went off the more he barked like he was having a danged barking contest with it. tried it at different times for two weeks, finally took it back and got my money back... for proof i brought my dog to the store and said turn it on. i told him to speak, the thing went off and my dog almost lost his mind trying to get to it, lol, they gladly refunded my money.  i guess the point is different things work with different dogs, just try to find the one that is best for you.  there are a lot of great replies on here to try out..

GILMOREFAN2001
by New Member on Feb. 16, 2009 at 11:58 PM

I actually have the same problem. My dog barks anytime someone comes to the door and when someone comes home. She is a Yorkie about 9 pounds. Could I use something like that for her or would you reccommend something else?

Quoting Artladydp:

Quoting Gr8NavyWife:

Also, there is a hand held device that you can point at the dog and press the button - it also makes a noise.  I can't remember the name of that one, but I bought it at Sam's Club.    Good luck!!!!

We got one of these.  It's called a "dazzer".  They work very well for barking.  They are fairly inexpensive, too.

pregnant belly

Artladydp
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 9:27 AM

I think the dazzer actually works better for outside barking.  If my dogs are way across the yard barking, I can point it at them and it gets their attention.  Then, I can give them the "quiet" command.  I used the dazzer inside my garage on my dog and he acted as if I had shot a cannon at him!   We can't hear it, so we don't know how loud it is.  I always take it on walks with me to scare off other dogs.

In Tamar Geller's book, The Loved Dog, she explains how to teach the "quiet" command.  I've taught it to one of my dogs and it works very well.  I'm just now teaching it to the other dog.  When the dog starts to bark, grab a handful of some very tasty treats.  The moment he stops, even if it is only for a second, say "quiet", put your index finger on your lips and say "ssshh, quiet", just like you'd tell your child to "ssshh" with your finger to your lips.  When he stays quiet after you've told him, lavish on the treats.  Tell him "good" in a singsong voice and act as if he's just won the lottery, petting him and telling him "good".   Tamar tells you to "make a party".   I got my dog, Cooper, to do this in one session!  He loved it!  Timing is key, though. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)