Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Clicker Training

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:31 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 668 Total Views

Does anyone use clicker training?  I just got a doberman puppy, and I really want to try this.  Any input/advice on clicker training would be appreciated.  Thanks.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
hms1223
by Member on Jul. 6, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Clicker training is one way to mark a behavior with a unique noise.  I have done private lessons with people that want to do it as well as have used it in agility.

One tip is to not rush the introduction of the clicker.  The dog needs to really KNOW that the sound is the positive reward for doing the command correctly.  Spend a good amount of time just saying his name, when he turns and looks at you immediately CLICK and treat.  This will associate the click to the treat which is vital to this training.

The other tip I have is to use a release word so that your dog doesn't associate the click to the release.  Many people that use clicker training have a hard time with their dog getting up for whatever once they click because they associate it with being done with the command.  If you use the click as the reinforcement and then train a release word to end the command you won't have this problem.

My only dislike of clicker training is that you have to carry the clicker everywhere with you.  And it doesn't have a volume button for crowded places.  That's why I teach to use a bridge word to mark a behavior using your voice.  Same concept but you always have your voice with you and you can make it louder if necessary.

Good luck and please post any questions you have along the way!  I also have a doberman! 

mommanesh
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2009 at 11:26 AM

So I could just use the word "Yes" instead of clicking?

mommanesh
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2009 at 11:27 AM

BTW I just looked at your profile and my dobe is blue too!

hms1223
by Member on Jul. 8, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Yes you can.  Use it just like you would the click.  So for example "Rover sit."  butt hits the floor "YES good sit.  Free"  Instead of "Rover sit"  butt hits the floor CLICK "good sit free"

See it's the same thing but you always have your voice with you.

I fell in love with the blues after seeing Keisar.  My first was a black and tan (Keisar's half brother) and I thought that would be the color that I would always want.  But then Keisar's litter was born and it had 2 blues and a fawn along with the red and black and tans and I just fell in love with him!  I now take deep breaths each time I make his food and have to add in all his supplements!  We have gone through hell with allergies and skin issues!

mommanesh
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Thank you for the help.  Our last dog was a blue doberman too.  He died about 5 years ago, so we decided it was time for another one.  We went to the breeder expecting to get a black and tan, but I fell in love when I saw the blues.

Here is the new little boy.  He's 8 weeks old.  Kobe Jax is his name.  He gets his ears done next week.

hms1223
by Member on Jul. 9, 2009 at 8:47 AM

He is very cute!  Are you getting asked if he is a Weimeriner (spelling???)  I got that all the time until Keisar's ears were done.

mommanesh
by New Member on Jul. 9, 2009 at 4:05 PM

We don't really get that much.  People just always ask what kind of puppy he is :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)