Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am raising my kids Bilingual.

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 1:45 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 634 Total Views
Hello, I have a 20 month old son and a five month old baby boy.  I am raising them bilingual.  I have read many articles that say the sooner you teach another language the better, but i am a little concern of my kids getting a little behind from the rest or that their social skills may be affected by other kids not understanding them. any advices, recommendations or suggestions?  they will be very appreciated, thanks,
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Nia7422
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:56 PM
My native language is Welsh and I learnt both Welsh and English at the same time when I was a child.....learning more than one language I think actually advances your children's capabilities even further. English will soon take over when living in the US....especially once they are in the school system.....so now is definitely the time to teach them other languages. We intend to teach Nepali and English to our son. Good luck.
tinac1987
by New Member on Aug. 8, 2007 at 11:17 AM
I am having the same problem , only it is affecting my daughter in daycare, her spanish is better than her english but NO ONE in the daycare speaks any spanish and they have no idea what she is saying. So it is very hard and I feel that it is confusing her. So Im not sure how to make it to where she gets the best of both cultures
Cici3
by Member on Sep. 7, 2007 at 12:50 AM
my is 6 yo (well, almost, in 2 weeks) and I raised him bilingual.
He started daycare at 2 yo, and didn't speak any english. He was behind in language. But not to worry, after a few months, he picked up english really well, and it has been a struggle to have him speak French to me!
Now, he is in first grade, and he has a reading level of a second grader, and can do math in his head, also on paper for more complex additions...

I researched the subject a lot when he was little and found:
1. It is normal for children to be behin speech wise, as they are learning 2 languages, so they know as many words as other kids, but split in 2 languages, so they seem like less

2. It is normal for them to mix up the languages in sentences. They choose at first the word they like best, whatever the language.

3. The become actually much smarter. Learning more than one language from birth develops a new area in the brain and they become really smart pumkins ; )

4. Don't worry, later in life, it won't make a difference how much they could speak at 2 or 3 yo : )

5. don't give up on your language! they will challenge you later but keep teaching them! They'll thank you when they grow up ; )

Good luck to you!

CC
Cici3
by Member on Sep. 8, 2007 at 10:12 PM
Actually, I just remembered... when my son was 3, he talked to his dad on the phone a lot (we are divorced) and I would tell him what he did during the day in French, and he would tell his dad right after in English : )
foxynomad
by New Member on Dec. 18, 2007 at 2:52 AM
i am raising my lil one to in basically 4 language.
her dad is taiwanese so he speaks english, mandarin and taiwanese to her.
i am filipino and i talk tagalog to her and english.
her babysitter dont speak english..rather she speaks spanish...and i can understand her as well.
well my lil one will have a lot of choices now wont she...
Freyamom
by New Member on Feb. 19, 2008 at 1:34 PM
I am trying to raise my girl to be bilingual. She just turned 2. My biggest problem is I forget to speak Danish to her. It is easier to keep speaking English, since that is what I do all day. Also I feel the commands are easier in English.
She talks to my parents on the webcam every weekend and they don't speak much English. But I'm not sure she actually understands them:(

I also heard that kids learning more than one language early on will do better in the long run. They will be slower to speak, and mix up the different languages. But it will be easier for them to pick up more languages even when they are older.

I've heard that the best way to teach them the different languages is that the parents speak their native language. The English the will pick up from "the outside world"....

Glad to have joined the group, hope to hear all you guy's stories
Emma
Wendolene
by on Feb. 20, 2008 at 12:54 PM
Hello. I am raising my son bilingual too. My husband is English, so he speak English to him. I come from Czechoslovakia ( now Czech Republic), and I speak Czech to him. The key is to be consistent. You have to talk to you child in your native language all the time, read and possibly even watch TV in your native tongue. Our son is now 5 and speak both languages fluently. True, Czech is more his first language, but that will be ok in school
One of the problems is that if you send your children to day care or preschool and they start to reply in English, the thing is to motivate them to continue speak your language. Otherwise all your efforts will be lost. Remember, you have to be consistent.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)