Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vaccinations

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:26 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 264 Total Views
What are your thoughts on vaccinations for your kids?
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
1st-timemom2b
by Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Oh brother. I hit a button and whoosh! ... all I just wrote vanished. Hopefully I'm not posting 2 x! LOL.... sorry if it does. 

Anyways, I'm so glad you brought this subject up and I look forward to hearing everyone's views.  I'm pulled personally, but so far have veered toward being more on an alternative schedule - so far.  I don't know anyone personally that has had any problems with side affects but from all I read, it's scary to me.  I decided so far, to only do the 1 vac (DTaP) at my baby's 6 mo apnt which was recently because W.Cough still so common and being a boy, I think inevitable he will at some point need to be proteced fromTetnus (spellg?).  Anyways, I'm on the fence on what to do further... Some I feel not a good idea, but some seem they are.  I'm trying to finish reading the Dr Sears Vac book I got along with 2 others, but I get crosseyed after a while of it!  I want to make the best informed choices for my child, not just go with the flow and not question things. I am responsible for his health and at the end of the day, the dr's cannot promise what will happen, so I must weight all the facts.  This last time, I did that one and just prayed to the Lord that He would protect my son. All went well but my understanding is that affects can occur later, not just immediately following.  What's your take? Thanks! :) 

musication4u
by Group Owner on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:15 PM
I'm also really tied, but i've "gone with the flow" unfortunately already with all my babies because in order to attend public schools they have to have their shot records and be updated on all their vaccinations. we can't afford private school and i'm not homeschooling so we really didn't have a choice. so far i don't see any bad side effects from any of the shots. i know i've heard horror stories about them and i would REALLy rather them not get shots, but the school thing was a big factor. also, i would like them to be protected from some of the diseases and illness the vaccinations prevent. it's really a shame that public school requires you to have these shots. i found this out when i enrolled Gabriel in his special preschool program. But he is doing great in the program and i'm glad he goes. I'm like you , i just have faith and pray that God protects the kids and everything will be ok.
debbymichelle
by New Member on Aug. 15, 2009 at 12:51 AM

I guess you could say we've gone with an "alternative schedule" for Wesley's vaccinations.  At this point, he's had everything that's recommended, but we had a bit of catch-up to do at 2 1/2 years.  That's because I only once let him get 2 vax at the same site at the same time, and it swelled up so big and puffy and hot that I since refused to let him have more than one shot in each leg at a time.  Based on my limited research and logic, I suspect a major part of the issues with vaccinations may result from mixing vax.  I don't mean like the Diptheria, Tetanus, and Pertusses (or which ever they are) in a single DTap vax; I mean giving him that vax with those three diseases AND, for example, the Hib vax in the same leg at the same time, while giving 2 other vax in the other leg.  I mean, these are our babies with their still-forming immune systems, and we expect their little bodies to develop antibodies for how many illnesses all at once?!?!  So, we've had to make extra trips to the Dr to get the shots spread out, but I just don't see how it's right to load up our little ones with so many diseases all at once.  We also delayed the MMR, since that's the one with the biggeset controversy.  I don't really know how convinced I am of either side's arguments, but I didn't see any harm in waiting.  My Dr first recommended it at 18 months.  She got called out of our exam for a phone call she had to take (only time she ever did that, and turned out to be related to her moving out of state a month later :( and while she was out, the nurse came in with 3 vax, saying "we might as well do this while you're waiting for her to come back" and there were 3 of them, and one was MMR, and I flat out REFUSED to let her do the shots until I had spoken to the Dr about them, and in the end, I think we only got one of them done, which may have meant the other 2 were wasted, but I don't consider that my fault.  He did get his MMR when he was 2 1/2 years old.

Debby

203/182/174
Mini-goal #1: 193 - met 7/5
Mini-goal #2: 184 - met 8/16
Back on track: 181 on 1/16
Mini-goal #3: 161 by 6/13

LilGina
by New Member on Aug. 17, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I am for vaccinations if every kid stopped getting vacced there would be so many diseases that we don't have any more come back. to me its worth it cause if my kids got something that could have been prevented by a shot then i would feel like a terrible mother. my 7 year old has had every shot on time from birth and is a great smart healthy kid (not always the best behaved lol) and my 7 month old has had every vaccination as well and is great so i vacc on time every shot to me its scary not to vaccinate then it is to

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)