Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welcome New Members.

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:06 PM
  • 23 Replies
  • 503 Total Views

Helloooo new members and welcome to the group.  My name is Lucky and I am a sahm to 7.  I run a cake business out of my home and I live in Virginia.  I bake from scratch, and work with buttercream, mmf, and gumpaste.  My only downfall is I have not worked with gumpaste flowers.  Would love to learn, just haven't had the time.  I would love to be able to help other inspiring bakers and decorators to advance and enjoy the baking-decorating bug.  Please feel free to tell us a little something about yourselves.  Also if you have been doing this for awhile and feel that you can and would like to be a mentor please let me know.  Please let us know what you consider you skill level and what you may be looking for when it comes to 911 help neede.  Thanks all and lets make this a fun, learning, friend filled place.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Hi!  I'm Rhonda, SAHM of 5 kids.  I've been decorating cakes for over 25 years and I still consider myself to be learning every time I do a cake!  I've been told that I'm a natural at making roses from frosting but I still prefer to use silk flowers.  I LOVE doing wedding or tiered cakes, they're just so PRETTY!   I strongly believe that cake decorating is not just baking and decorating, it is an art form!

With all that said, I still have not EVER worked with fondant but it is something I'd love to try.  Most people that I deal with have had bad experiences with fondant taste and don't want to go anywhere near fondant on their cakes. 

luckymommax7
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Hey Rhonda and welcome.  I am not real good at making roses from frosting...lol, but love buttercream and I do mmf occasionally.  Welcome to the group and feel free to post your heart away...

Quoting michiganmom116:

Hi!  I'm Rhonda, SAHM of 5 kids.  I've been decorating cakes for over 25 years and I still consider myself to be learning every time I do a cake!  I've been told that I'm a natural at making roses from frosting but I still prefer to use silk flowers.  I LOVE doing wedding or tiered cakes, they're just so PRETTY!   I strongly believe that cake decorating is not just baking and decorating, it is an art form!

With all that said, I still have not EVER worked with fondant but it is something I'd love to try.  Most people that I deal with have had bad experiences with fondant taste and don't want to go anywhere near fondant on their cakes. 

2cuteboysrmine
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:44 PM
im christina, well ok every one calls me sissy, im a SAHM of 2 small boys, ages 3 and 1... im kinda new to making cakes and all.. i do all the kids birthday cakes and bake things for all the holidays.. id love to become good enough to do it as a side job., just to make a little cash.. i still use box mixes, because im a disaster at making my own.. and ive never had to work with making my own icings. so im still a beginner in all those things..
michiganmom116
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Quoting 2cuteboysrmine:

im christina, well ok every one calls me sissy, im a SAHM of 2 small boys, ages 3 and 1... im kinda new to making cakes and all.. i do all the kids birthday cakes and bake things for all the holidays.. id love to become good enough to do it as a side job., just to make a little cash.. i still use box mixes, because im a disaster at making my own.. and ive never had to work with making my own icings. so im still a beginner in all those things..

I prefer to use box mixes for 99% of my cakes!  I do add/substitute ingredients, like I'll use applesauce, butter or sour cream instead of the vegetable oil, sometimes I'll use fillings instead of frosting between layers too.  Boxed cakes bake up more consistently than scratch cakes and if I'm doing a wedding cake I'm relying on consistency!

Last weekend I made a carrot cake from scratch that actually fermented!!!  The pineapple that the recipe called for went bad overnight.  I probably should have refrigerated it but didn't have the room.  Oh well, you learn from things like that.  Next time I'll use a box cake mix.

luckymommax7
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Hey there Sissy, welcome to the group.  Feel free to ask any questions, and one of us will try to help you as soon as we can.  Once you get comfortable with making scratch cakes it taste so much better......

Quoting 2cuteboysrmine:

luckymommax7
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Wow Rhonda I can only imagine how the cake ended up if it fermented on ya.....was it for a customer?

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting 2cuteboysrmine:

I prefer to use box mixes for 99% of my cakes!  I do add/substitute ingredients, like I'll use applesauce, butter or sour cream instead of the vegetable oil, sometimes I'll use fillings instead of frosting between layers too.  Boxed cakes bake up more consistently than scratch cakes and if I'm doing a wedding cake I'm relying on consistency!

Last weekend I made a carrot cake from scratch that actually fermented!!!  The pineapple that the recipe called for went bad overnight.  I probably should have refrigerated it but didn't have the room.  Oh well, you learn from things like that.  Next time I'll use a box cake mix.

michiganmom116
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Yes it was!  Thankfully the customer was a family member.  The carrot cake was a 12 inch layer that was to be the bottom for an 8 inch layer, so it wasn't a total loss.  I felt so bad though that I refused payment.

Here's a pic of the top layer.  The bottom layer that fermented was done in basketweave and I was planning to surround the top with a ton of silk flowers....so, we did that same thing, just not on the bottom layer...did it on the cake plate instead.

Quoting luckymommax7:

Wow Rhonda I can only imagine how the cake ended up if it fermented on ya.....was it for a customer?

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting 2cuteboysrmine:

scaredmomtobe07
by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Hi all, my name is Amanda and I'm a sahm of 2 (2 and 9 months). I have always loved baking and have always been artsy. I am only 23 so I haven't really had a lot of time to learn but I am trying. I do make my own frosting most of the time but usually rely on box mixes. I have made a few successful scratch cakes but having the 2 babies its easier to use a box. I have used marshmallow fondant and butter creams, but have yet to make flowers. I make birthday cakes for pretty much everyone in my family and for every occasion. I am looking forward to getting a lot of advice from all of you talented ladies.

luckymommax7
by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Welcome Amanda, feel free to ask any questions regarless of how small they may be.  I am in and out of the group all day and will do my best to answer your question or send you in the right direction.  Thanks for joining the group.

Quoting scaredmomtobe07:

Hi all, my name is Amanda and I'm a sahm of 2 (2 and 9 months). I have always loved baking and have always been artsy. I am only 23 so I haven't really had a lot of time to learn but I am trying. I do make my own frosting most of the time but usually rely on box mixes. I have made a few successful scratch cakes but having the 2 babies its easier to use a box. I have used marshmallow fondant and butter creams, but have yet to make flowers. I make birthday cakes for pretty much everyone in my family and for every occasion. I am looking forward to getting a lot of advice from all of you talented ladies.

LovemyQ
by on Jul. 12, 2009 at 8:14 PM

HI everyone,

I'm Kelly, wife of 10 years (I can't believe it has been that long!) and mom to 2 y.o. Quinn.   I am not the greatest baker, cooking is more my forte, but I came here to learn the tips and tricks of how to make your own cakes.

I would love to make cakes for my little man.  plus, cake is my favorite thing!  I am picky about my cakes, I think I am a cake connoisseur, lol.  If I lived close to any of you I'd have to come over for tast testing, lol!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN