Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Days Without Yoga

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:25 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 360 Total Views

For whatever reason, I put off my yoga Thurs and Fri and then had to work the weekend and didn't do any then either. So this morning I made sure to get up and DO my yoga...Oh dear! It's crazy what 4 days off will do to a person's downdog! I was so tight! I wanted to keep going and do another 30 mintute practice, but decided to just make it a point to do it again tomorrow morning and the next morning, and the next...you get the idea....so I will ease back into my routine of daily practice.

In my 4 days of no yoga, I noticed I didn't make as smart eating choices as I normally do. I didn't pig out completely, but I sure wasn't eating to fuel my practice. I was scatter-brained, felt ungrounded, lack of confidence in my ability to do what's right, just generally out of sorts. I'm trying not to beat myself up b/c I know my practice will ebb and flow like that throughout my life. Some days, I just won't do yoga....but I want to most days. And this lull has only proven again to me that yoga is critical to my well-being.

So, have you ever taken a "break" from practicing and if so how has it effected your day to day life?

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sillymamak
by Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I'm definitely better off if I do my yoga practice daily.  I've gone through phases where I do it daily but then I might get a little burned out or feel like I have to do it.  And I don't like feeling like that either.  I've also found that I've been a way for a few weeks and come back and have had a totally new positive perspective.  But I definitely agree that I'm more focused and living a little bit healthier physically and mentally when I practice daily.  When I can't practice daily, I try do some reading that aligns with the yoga philosophy.  I go to a studio and practice once a week so if I'm not practicing at home then I know that will renew me and get me motivated.  I'm so bad....I don't like leaving town because it means I might miss my weekend practice.  I'm pretty attached to that. 

Jenneliz
by Group Owner on Apr. 20, 2010 at 9:31 AM

the last few months of my pregnancy i didnt practice asanas. then when i finally made it back to the mat, it was not a pretty sight. i need my yoga!

Jenntreadmillbaby boy

J.Lily
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I  haven't been into it that much- but I want to-rather, I need to , basically I joined this group for inspiration :)   Its gotten to be extremely stiff and achy and I never had any roution but am trying to get started with this.

zeppelynn
by Group Admin on Apr. 26, 2010 at 1:59 PM

True discipline is doing something even when you don't want to. I get off on being mentally and physically disciplined. If I feel an aversion to a particular pose, instead of just moving on to one I like better, I stay with the one I'm not loving so much. I get curious about it. I ask myself what, specifically I don't like about it, and try to come up with a way to make that pose more available to myself. I find a lot of times, if I really think about it, I consider it a lesson and come to love that pose for what it has taught me about myself. Then, when I come to that pose the next time around, I do it with a much better mindset. My pose du jour for this situation is Warrior I. I'm not loving it, but am open to how to make it feel "right." (Any tips??? Any at all? I don't like the way my back leg and lower back feel during this pose and I think it might be because I'm not doing it correctly. And I have to really adjust the distance between my feet when flowing from Warrior I to Warrior 2, while those lovely ladies on TV seem to flow effortlessly)

JLWmassage
by Member on Apr. 28, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Quoting zeppelynn:

True discipline is doing something even when you don't want to. I get off on being mentally and physically disciplined. If I feel an aversion to a particular pose, instead of just moving on to one I like better, I stay with the one I'm not loving so much. I get curious about it. I ask myself what, specifically I don't like about it, and try to come up with a way to make that pose more available to myself. I find a lot of times, if I really think about it, I consider it a lesson and come to love that pose for what it has taught me about myself. Then, when I come to that pose the next time around, I do it with a much better mindset. My pose du jour for this situation is Warrior I. I'm not loving it, but am open to how to make it feel "right." (Any tips??? Any at all? I don't like the way my back leg and lower back feel during this pose and I think it might be because I'm not doing it correctly. And I have to really adjust the distance between my feet when flowing from Warrior I to Warrior 2, while those lovely ladies on TV seem to flow effortlessly)

Watch Natasha Rizopoulos on YJ TV she has a great way of doing warrior 1 and high lung

zeppelynn
by Group Admin on Apr. 28, 2010 at 2:11 PM

^^ Will do! Thank ya :) I did the Warrior series of Namaste Yoga today and it felt a lot better. Went from forward fold to Warrior I, to Warrior 2, back to W1 and then to W3. I could definitely feel the "rightness" of my transitions from 1 to 2 and back to 1. Hips squared, opened, squared. And I could feel it. Amazing practice today! :)

YOGIMOMI
by on May. 14, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Quoting zeppelynn:

Also remember one of the ashtangas of yoga is ahimsa meaning non-violence.  In the spirit of yoga that also means do not make yourself do something if you don't feel like it or are unable to.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)