Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Accomplishments!!

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:02 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 319 Total Views

Good morning, ladies! Hope you are all doing very well. I just wanted to make a post in which we can celebrate any recent accomplishments we've had in our yoga practices.

I've had a bit of an ebb in my "ah-ha" moments the last few months (a reason I haven't been very active in the group...my apologies.) But yesterday I experienced an awesome flow to counter that ebb. It started when I was picking which Namaste to do for my daily yoga yesterday afternoon. I was feeling a bit bored with the same old ones and decided to challenge myself and take a more playful approach. Deciding on the Crane sequence (which has always been rather intimidating to me) I was able to get the balance a few times! I was pretty excited. Ususally I crash on my head. :)

So then, later on last night, under rather un-yogic conditions, I did something I haven't ever been able to do before. I was trying to relieve the stress of the evening (cooking a bigger dinner than normal and dealing with a whiny 19 mo old) and decided what I needed was some Wii Golf and beer :) I was kickin ass, if I do say so myself. So a few beers in(I told you it was a bit un-yogic...everything in moderation, right?! lol), I was thinking about my crane and decided to try a back bend. I told DH (He has tried to "spot" me before and I never was able to just drop back and do it. I always laugh and get nervous and fall for 10 attempts and give up) and he was said he would spot me. So..I.JUST.DID.IT. :):):) I took a breath, grounded myself, lifted my hands to the heavens and slowly dropped back with composure I've never had before. I wasn't relying on DH's arms at all. It was like I was in a different body and mind. I was so freaking pumped! I even did it again later on, again on the first try. So now I am really looking forward to challenging myself more and more. It feels amazing to accomplish this when it felt like something so far out of my reach.

SO go ahead, yoginis.....pat yourselves on the back and let us know what amazing poses you're busting out these days! Namaste!!!!

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jenneliz
by Group Owner on Jun. 28, 2010 at 7:51 AM

thats amazing!!!! i cannot do a crane yet, i always fall forward lol. as for the backbends, i can do them from the ground but havent been able to do it from standing since i was a teenager. congrats!

as for myself my heels finally touch in downward dog and i dont shake as much in half moon. thats about it

~*~*~*Jenn~*~*~*

JLWmassage
by Member on Jun. 28, 2010 at 7:58 AM

Now you are going to have to step it up a notch and work on side crane. I have been not so good about doing my yoga. Life has sort of gotten in the way

zeppelynn
by Group Admin on Jun. 29, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Quoting Jenneliz:

thats amazing!!!! i cannot do a crane yet, i always fall forward lol. as for the backbends, i can do them from the ground but havent been able to do it from standing since i was a teenager. congrats!

as for myself my heels finally touch in downward dog and i dont shake as much in half moon. thats about it

I usually put a cushion in front of me when I attempt crane. I plan on a crash landing :)

Down dog and half moon are two of my favorite poses. I can't do half moon in the mornings....crash landings ;) Good job mama!

zeppelynn
by Group Admin on Jun. 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Quoting JLWmassage:

Now you are going to have to step it up a notch and work on side crane. I have been not so good about doing my yoga. Life has sort of gotten in the way

Oh wow....I hadn't even THOUGHT of side crane...thanks alot! Kidding :) It's so important to always (gently) challenge ourselves.

I know what you mean about life getting in the way. I try to do 30 min each day but sometimes it just isn't possible. And I go easy on myself. But I know that if I can do yoga, it will make handling stressful situations a bit easier.

Hope all is well with you :)

suekeem
by Member on Jul. 14, 2010 at 7:30 AM

way to go on the bkbend.  I recall you posting that on WIOSM.  Also my instructor says prepping for the back bend can be the bridge and walking your hands down a wall into back bend can help--though I personally think that is harder.

I can touch my heels on the ground in downdog.  I can do crane.  I'd really like to be able to do more of the headstand and balancing poses like in the plank, but w/ the legs up or one over the shoulder and the other up.... or the legs out to the side while arms are in push up/plank position.

JLWmassage
by Member on Jul. 14, 2010 at 8:20 AM

I am going to be taking an arm balance and inversion workshop in a couple of weeks. We will see if my arms are still attached to my body when I am done

zeppelynn
by Group Admin on Jul. 15, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Quoting suekeem:

way to go on the bkbend.  I recall you posting that on WIOSM.  Also my instructor says prepping for the back bend can be the bridge and walking your hands down a wall into back bend can help--though I personally think that is harder.

I can touch my heels on the ground in downdog.  I can do crane.  I'd really like to be able to do more of the headstand and balancing poses like in the plank, but w/ the legs up or one over the shoulder and the other up.... or the legs out to the side while arms are in push up/plank position.

I was JUST reading that tip in a YJ and I thought the same thing, that it would be harder than the actual drop back.

I did some kind of balance like you described w the legs out to the side during a Shiva Rae video. I was like, "Hm, where is she taking me?" then I realized what I was doing LOL It was awesome. I can't do it everytime but I can sometimes.

zeppelynn
by Group Admin on Jul. 15, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Quoting JLWmassage:

I am going to be taking an arm balance and inversion workshop in a couple of weeks. We will see if my arms are still attached to my body when I am done

Oh goodness! You will definitely have to share your experience when you get back! That's fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)