Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone meditate?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:34 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 530 Total Views

I'm just a little more than halfway through my second pregnancy. My body is supercharged with hormones. So, I know after Liam is born, my body is going to go through "hormone withdrawal." I was thinking maybe meditation would help me emotionally deal with it better, especially since exercise will be out for the first six weeks.

Anyone have any experience? Advice on how to get started? Obviously, I will be, at first, most interested in the relaxation benefit.

Thanks!
Kristin

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
hippiemama28
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 6:42 PM

BUMP!

Bleu_Chanel
by on Feb. 18, 2011 at 12:37 AM

I would check out information on both spinal breathing which deals with the healing of the nervous system (great for pregnancy and relaxation) and meditation.  I just purchased some wonderful books by an author by the name of Yogani that are super easy to read (around 120 pages or less) and super informative.  They are very gentle and perfect for beginners.  He also has some other amazing books which I'm listing below for you and everyone else in the group:

*Spinal Breathing Pranayama

*Deep Meditation

*Samyama

*Asanas, Mudras and Bandhas

*Self-Inquiry - Dawn of the Witness and the End of Suffering

*Eight Limbs of Yoga

*Tantra - Discovering the Power of Pre-Orgasmic Sex

*Diet, Shatkarmas and Amaroli - Yogic Nutrition & Cleansing for Health and Spirit

*Bhakti and Karma Yoga - The Science of Devotion and Liberation Through Action

and then there is a question and answer book called "Advanced Yoga Practices:  Easy Lessons for Ecstatic Living"  which is basically the book rendention of lessons on his website that can be found at http://www.aypsite.org/

A great meditation to start with is the "I AM" meditation.  Just gently say "I AM" over and over very slow and natural, not forced.  Don't focus so much on the aspect of "I AM".  It isn't about the meaning of "I AM", It's more of a vibrational quality to penetrate the nervous systerm.  It can be likened to the "Ohm" meditation.  If you find yourself wandering from "I AM" into normal every day thoughts just gently come back to the mantra.  20 minutes is good for this meditation but if you get uncomfortable start with 5 minutes twice a day or whenever you feel you need to kick back and relax.  Just remember to come back to the mantra when you mind starts wondering.  It's ok for the mind to wander too.  That's the whole point of this meditation.  To quiet the mind. 

KCisPaulsMom
by on Feb. 18, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Thanks Bleu.

Bleu_Chanel
by on Feb. 18, 2011 at 7:49 PM

You're welcome

Tara_ble
by New Member on Feb. 24, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Thanks zadia I have been wondering how to start meditation and I think this will work for me!

KelleyP77
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Many beginners have good results with guided meditations. I would suggest getting a guided meditation cd.

suekeem
by Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 10:15 AM

there are some mediations on demand if you have comcast.  short intros.  I watched a few this morning.  Also you can find some great clips on youtube.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)