Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are your thoughts/feelings about standardized testing and NCLB?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:20 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 276 Total Views

I personally don't agree with it or see how it's helping. I feel that more children are being left behind. I have heard a lot teachers say that they feel they've been reduced to just teaching to the test. Is that not a disservice to the students, teachers, and to the subject matter itself? I am very excited about becoming a teacher, but I am going to have a hard time with standardized testing. What do you think?

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Kandyunschool
by Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 5:04 PM

I totally disagree with them!  There are much better ways to evaluate.  I am a firm believer in child-directed learning.  I believe that keeping a portfolio of work and keeping accurate records of projects are much more effective methods! 

Kandy

Children will learn if we allow them to. 

kad_m2
by Group Owner on Jun. 11, 2009 at 10:56 AM

test are not a good form of evaluation thats what we are being taught now and how to use other ways of evaluation. a child can do poorly on a test but evaluate him/her a different way and youll find that they understand the concept and thats how they can show they understand. different types of evaluation strategies that can be used are things like a portfolio, journal, using the aesthetic subjects like drama and visual arts etc. we dont want to get rid of the tests but as teachers we should know what type of learners our students are and how they learn and take that into consideration when we are evaluatig.

are u studying to be a teacher?      visit us at....

moms studying to be teachers

http://www.cafemom.com/group/preteachermommies 

to Jamaican moms

http://www.cafemom.com/group/KERRYSGROUP

come check us out at "the real taste of Jamaica"

http://www.cafemom.com/group/therealtasteofjamaica

Kandyunschool
by Member on Jun. 11, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Right now, I am taking an educational philosophy class.  Ironincally, this week's discussion is over the current testing system.  The question posed is "Is there a better way?"  Thanks for posting this question! 

Kandy

Children will learn if we allow them to. 

jdubsmom06
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Quoting Kandyunschool:

I totally disagree with them!  There are much better ways to evaluate.  I am a firm believer in child-directed learning.  I believe that keeping a portfolio of work and keeping accurate records of projects are much more effective methods! 

Kandy

I so agree! There are several different types of informal assessments (like projects and portfolios) to determine what a student understands.

jdubsmom06
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Quoting kad_m2:

test are not a good form of evaluation thats what we are being taught now and how to use other ways of evaluation. a child can do poorly on a test but evaluate him/her a different way and youll find that they understand the concept and thats how they can show they understand. different types of evaluation strategies that can be used are things like a portfolio, journal, using the aesthetic subjects like drama and visual arts etc. we dont want to get rid of the tests but as teachers we should know what type of learners our students are and how they learn and take that into consideration when we are evaluatig.

So true. Everyone learns and demonstrates what they have learned in a different way. I think that it is important for a student to be able to apply what they have learned rather than just remembering it.

jdubsmom06
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Quoting Kandyunschool:

Right now, I am taking an educational philosophy class.  Ironincally, this week's discussion is over the current testing system.  The question posed is "Is there a better way?"  Thanks for posting this question! 

Kandy

I would love to know what your class thought. I am two classes away from my masters and out of all people that I have met (this includes classmates, current teachers, and professors) only two have agreed with our current testing system.

GandXmanMom
by Member on Jun. 20, 2009 at 3:11 PM

In theory it was a good idea but you still have to take in effect that school budgets vary from system to system and state to state.  So with new technology programs that are becoming available for schools to use for testing, it still depends who can afford them or not.    There needs to be more consistency with funding.

ladybugslidebackpackShelly

hotflash2005
by Member on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:03 AM

Hello,

I am with you.  There are lots of students being left behind.  The high stakes testing is something that needs to be revamped.  How about some informal assessemts from the teachers?

There are some schools in Georgia that recently were accused of changing answers.  A principal and an asst principal have been arrested. 

Hotflash2005
JeremysMom
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 1:12 AM

My thoughts-

baddevilbanging head into wallangrysurrender

Some of the NCLB rules are good in theory but do no good in real life. And well, I just hate standardized testing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)