Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

more kids after twins?? PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:53 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 427 Total Views

Here's a little history to let you see where we're at right now.  We have 17 mo old identical twin girls, they're our first, and would like to have at least 2 more kids.  I want to get pregnant this year (the girls would be 2 1/2 when next one would be born), but am afraid that I will get too stressed out (which I do a lot!) and won't be able to handle everything, that the girls might not do well with another addition to the family, and that the girls won't get what they need from me.  I'm also scared to death that we could get prego with twins again!!  I stay at home and hubby works and is in the military.  we're worried, because he will be changing jobs this summer and might have to take a pay decrease.  We also are worried about expenses, especially since we only have one vehicle and it will barely hold 2 carseats and 1 infant carseat, we have a 2000 dodge durango (no third row seating), so we would have to buy a new vehicle.  We're looking at either a suburban w/ third row seating or a honda odyssey (hubby and I aren't big fans of mini vans, but don't really have a choice).  So the only other option is to get pregnant next year, which would put the girls at 3 1/2 yrs.
So, what do you think about the situations?  what type of vehicle do you have and what do you like about it, we're you able to fit a double stroller and costco size groceries all at once?  I am also wondering how far apart your twins and younger children are spaced, how well did everything worke for you, were they potty trained before the new baby arrived?  Any advice or encouragement would be great.
Sorry for all the questions, but I need some input from those of you who have "been there, done that"!!!  I don't know anyone personally who has twins, so you're all I got!!  :)  Thanks!!

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twinmommypoe
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:27 PM

anyone??

Twinners
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I can let you know in a couple months how my 21 month old boys do with a baby sister...

I have 18 month old little guys and my husband and I decided to try for another baby when they turned one, and we got pregnant right away.  I knew there was a possiblity of having twins again, but didn't feel like I would.  We both felt that we should have another baby and that it was going to be a girl - and thats what it is.  Our baby girl is due April 12th.  I think getting pregnant when I did was the best for our family, because the boys were independent enough (other then diapers and eating) that they could play while I was throwing up, or laying on the couch.  I was pretty nauseous and exhausted during the first three months of my pregnancy which was a complete change from the boys where I never felt sick.  And the boys did really well with playing and such while I laid on the couch or was in the bathroom.  I think that we will have some jealousy issues - the boys get jealous now when Im holding only one - but I think that they will get over it pretty quickly.  Im not sure how having 3 kids under two is going to work out for me, but it will.  My thoughts are after surviving twins, one baby can't be much more difficult then that (hopefully ;)  We only have a car with three seats in the back so we will have all three kids in the back row, until mid summer when we trade ours in for a van.  My kids are not potty trained and will not be, I figure we will work on that when they let me know they are ready around 2 2 and a half. 

I think that if you feel you should add to your family, and want to don't let the worry stand in your way.  Sorry I couldn't be more help with the experience of having all three kids, but check back with me in a couple months and I'll let you know how the first few months with three kids under 2 goes :)

Good luck with your decision :)

twinmommypoe
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:42 PM

thanks for the reassurance :)  i too believe that one baby will be a piece of cake after having twins!!  what kind of van are you thinking of getting?  I will definetely get back to you in a couple months if we haven't made a decision yet  :)

Twinners
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Not sure what van we are getting - I wish we could get a toyota or a honda since they last forever, but i think we are just going to get an inexpensive used one - really it will be whatever is out there. 

twinmommypoe
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Quoting Twinners:

Not sure what van we are getting - I wish we could get a toyota or a honda since they last forever, but i think we are just going to get an inexpensive used one - really it will be whatever is out there. 

I'm hoping to get a honda odyssey, but we'll see if it happens  :)

twinmommypoe
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 10:31 AM

BUMP

Rebartwins
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 11:18 AM

personally i would wait, we are trying right now for more, found out there is a minor complication so thats why im not prego yet. anyways our twins are just over 3 years old and they love babies, not so much when they were about 2 1/2. we had a jeep liberty but that would only fit 2 carseats safely so we bought a used suburban and we LOVE it! we can and do fill it up with 9 people and multipul carseats all the time plus anything else in the back. we dont like vans either and the truth is that yeah you have a 3rd row but there is vertually no room in the back for anything. i have a side by side stroller and we take that and everything for the beach, grocerys etc with room to spair all the time. back to the babies, we wanted our twins to be more independent before we had more children to us that ment, potty trained, can get a snack if they want without our help, can play in the back yard unsupervized etc which now they are. my husband is also in the military and we wanted to make sure we was non-deployable before you had anymore babies! our twins were just 2 weeks old when he deployed the first time, and 21 months when he deployed the 2nd time. praise god he is home for a few years now!

good luck let me know how everything works out and hope this helps

Karissa

twinmommypoe
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Quoting Rebartwins:

personally i would wait, we are trying right now for more, found out there is a minor complication so thats why im not prego yet. anyways our twins are just over 3 years old and they love babies, not so much when they were about 2 1/2. we had a jeep liberty but that would only fit 2 carseats safely so we bought a used suburban and we LOVE it! we can and do fill it up with 9 people and multipul carseats all the time plus anything else in the back. we dont like vans either and the truth is that yeah you have a 3rd row but there is vertually no room in the back for anything. i have a side by side stroller and we take that and everything for the beach, grocerys etc with room to spair all the time. back to the babies, we wanted our twins to be more independent before we had more children to us that ment, potty trained, can get a snack if they want without our help, can play in the back yard unsupervized etc which now they are. my husband is also in the military and we wanted to make sure we was non-deployable before you had anymore babies! our twins were just 2 weeks old when he deployed the first time, and 21 months when he deployed the 2nd time. praise god he is home for a few years now!

good luck let me know how everything works out and hope this helps

Karissa

I was thinking the independance would be a plus!!  my hubby is non deployable for prob next 4 years, hopefully!  :)  so, we have some time for that.

TwinsXTwo
by Member on Jan. 29, 2009 at 12:22 AM

We have 13 month old twins and 3 month old twins.  Both pregnancies were surprises.  We didn't get the opportunity to "plan." 

We did get a Ford Winstar.  It's the top rated van for safety.  It drives really smooth, does good with gas mileage, and doesn't look too bad for a van.  Now, I HATE vans!  But I don't mind this one too much.  I never wanted one, but it was what we could afford at the time.  We do plan to get a Chevy Suburban or a Dodge Durango (both with 3 rows!)  The van fits 4 carseats in it with ease.  We also tried it in the other two and they fit well too.  However, the Durango did have the least amount of room with the 3rd row up.  Surburbans have a lot of room!

I don't typically get stressed, but I must admit I do have my days of craziness!  I have to just say that if you are a perfectionist (which I usually am) then it will be extremely stressful.  You just need to relax, breathe, and plan on things NOT being perfect!  If you plan too much then you will get upset when things don't work out on schedule.  If you know you may not get to eat lunch at lunch time or do all the laundry or take a shower that day then you won't (or shouldn't) get stressed.  Also, be on the same page as your husband.  Help each other out.  Give each other breaks.  Take turns!  It will all work out and be fine! 

We were definately NOT planning kids the way they came.  However, we are getting through it and without much stress!  Good luck and let me know how it goes!

twinmommypoe
by Member on Jan. 30, 2009 at 12:33 PM

WOW!!!  I could not imagine 4 kids under 2!!  thanks for the inspiration!!  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)