Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New To Cafe Mom-son starting 2nd grade

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:55 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 185 Total Views

Hi

I just joined cafe mom and am trying to figure it all out.  My son is 7 and starting 2nd grade in September.  He is very nervous and having a hard time about it - so I was wondering if anyone else's kids are feeling the same way.  He seems more nervous going into 2nd Grade than he did for 1st.  Any ideas on how to make him feel better?  His teacher told him all the kids would be in different classes next year and may not be together - so I think that is why he is so worried.  He keeps saying he hates school and is not going back.  I feel bad for him to be so stressed about it. 

Carrie

www.CarriesKiddieCloset.com

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Christine0813
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Awww so sorry he is feeling that way. My son was looking forward to it. He went back today and told me he was good and had a great day. I don't know what else you can do besides just talking to him. Let's us know.

Married mother with three children, Daniel, Seth, Olivia and SM to Nicole. Owner of Northeast Ohio Mothers   Member of Mommies of Toddler Boys   Member of 2nd Grade 2009  Member of Raising Girls  Member of Ohio Stepmoms and Step/Blended Families

Safirejewl
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Hi Carrie, Can you talk to his teacher. Suggest that she send him a welcome to school card in the mail saying something along the lines...Hello, (name). I am so excited to have you in my classroom this year. Etc. My son's teacher sent out welcome back to school cards to all of her kids. I thought this was a great idea.Maybe she has some ideas on how to help him adjust. . Talk to your son's teacher about his fears and anxiety. If you can, take him to school orientation day and show him his new room and greet his new teacher. I'm sure his teacher will have fun things to do the first few days of school to make transition easy on children. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)