Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself!!

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 10:02 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 283 Total Views
Hi everyone, Im Amanda, Im from NH... I do not scuba dive.. yet, but i do free dive in the ocean. This summer I plan on getting padi certified. my husband and stepson are already certified. There is nothing more relaxing then being in the water!! I one day hope to get down to Florida and do some diving down there and then Aruba one day too! I never even know what diving was all about until I met the man of my dreams, my husband, David, he has introduced me to so much! And I love him so much for that!!
I have three great kids that cant get enough of the ocean, and in a couple of years, my six year old son will be introduced to snorkeling, my three year old is already bugging me about diving like her Mommy and Daddy.:) I cant wait to get them going with it!  My husband spear fishes... my stepson, when he was first introduced to free diving with his dad, he wouldnt come out of the water without something to show everyone!! Hes funny! Hes gonna be joining the Navy when he finishes school in May to be a diver...
Anyone here ever try spear fishing??? I some day hope to do that as well!! The only thing I worry about with being certified, is the breathing, does that just come natural? Or am i gonna have trouble getting used to the idea, ??
thanks for inviting me to this group!!! :)
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
christinaliu
by Group Owner on Oct. 26, 2007 at 10:24 AM
Wow, an ocean free diver! That's pretty cool! I think I'd be too scared to do that--I feel like I need my gear to feel safe and not so vulnerable when I'm in the ocean!

I think it's not too hard to get used to the breathing--but it may be harder to get past holding your breath if you're a free diver. Then again, I'd think it's easier to get used to breathing naturally--after my initial freak-out in my first pool lesson, I pretty much forgot that I had a regulator in my mouth and just kept breathing reflexively while looking at all the stuff there was to see underwater!

I loved diving in Aruba--there's some really cool dive sites there. My favorite was actually the wreck of the Antilla. There were tons of tunicates all over the wreck and some other cool creatures--and it's a shallow wreck (deepest is 60 ft I think). So it's an easy dive.

I've never done spear fishing or tried catching lobsters. I'm more of a "take only pictures, leave only bubbles" kind of a diver.  :-)

Group Owner, Asian and Pacific Island Families Forum
Group Owner, SCUBA and Snorkeling Moms

"When the fate of so many rests in the hands of so few, can the failure to be accountable ever be forgiven?" --Stephen Hawking

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)