Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chapter 3

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:17 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 248 Total Views

So I don't understand how people are so star stricken by the emperor. I mean they lost the war and he declared himself a human. Selling his bath water and sorts. That is so strange to me.

I also don't understand, did the emperor really believe that he was a god you think? Maby he was brought up from birth to believe that he was a god or was it just a persona.

Her mother seams very star struck by the royal family.

Her father was very fortunate that he was not that affected, material wise, by the war. It is really interesting to read that perspective cuz all the books and movies I have seen all the families are ruined by that war.

What are you thoughts?

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mommyofnoah208
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM

I thought the same thing with them being so fortunate. It always seemed like everyone's life was completely destroyed. They seemed to be able to step right back up and rebuild their life quickly and even at the market when the mother was able to but the rolls and the comb for the daughter. And then I think if I understood right they had a vacation home for the summer.

Also why did the mother seem so excited to let her daughter know that he grew 3 centimeters? The father seems a lot more down to earth than the mother.

Es_May
by Group Owner on Aug. 13, 2009 at 1:50 PM

It almost seems like the Mother is regretful for not marring higher. 

mommyofnoah208
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Quoting Es_May:

It almost seems like the Mother is regretful for not marring higher. 

That's a good thought. She does seem way to interested.

MemaSu
by on Aug. 14, 2009 at 10:15 AM

When tradition is so very ingrained it does not change overnight. To simply say I am now a man, changes nothing for the subjects who are trained from the cradle. It takes( & did ) generations to change those attitudes. The Japan of today would not be recognized by the WW11 generation.

It also is a totally different culture & way of life- very hard for us to understand. This book is a good representation of a life style we just never have experienced at all.

Hope we are all learning & enjoying- it will also make us count our blessings!

reading

Es_May
by Group Owner on Aug. 14, 2009 at 12:27 PM

ok so do you think that the emperor thought he was a god? 

MemaSu
by on Aug. 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM

I think that the Emperors were raised to think that they were divine. In many cultures( including England, for the most closely related to our country) Royality were raised to think they ruled by Divine Right. The Modern age has changed all that, but it was a commonly held belief right up until WW1.(1914)

This is not acient history at all, but well into the Christian era when the Church crowned kings as blest & anointed by god.

The Japanese held different belief as far as their gods go, but the the divinity of kings was a common belief world wide.

reading

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)