Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thyroid and weight loss!

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 12:25 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 639 Total Views
Hi! My name is Davina! I have hypotyroidism. I am on 125mcgs. Before I weighed 122lbs and wore a size 1-2. I now weigh 230+lbs and wear a sz 18. I found out that my thyroid was yo-yo after I gained 70lbs in 3 months. After they  put me on the meds the doc told me that the weight should come off quickly. It didn't come off they checked me again and uped my meds 6 months later and so on and so on. This has been going on for 3yrs now they have uped my meds every6 months. I have done diets and exercise and tried everything. For three years my weight has stayed the same. It has not come off and I have not gained anything either. The doc keeps telling me the same thing everytime "It'll come off". But it hasn't. And I don't know why. I have met several people that have this and when they got on their meds the wieght came off. Does anyone else have the problem that I do? Can u not loose the weight? Any suggestions on my situation? Please any info or insight welcome. Thanx~Davina
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Adnil
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 8:47 PM
The best advise I can give you..is get active..and stay or cut down salt, sugar, and alcohol..and try to stay away from junk food..or at least eat less of it..Don't go on a diet..but check weight watchers...they are not about diets, but they can help you set a plan, you can check the internet too and join online.  I understand slightly what your going through..as I don't have a thyroid gland and I have been dealing with keeping my weight at bay..You can do it. :) If you want to chat I would be more than happy to help you out..:)

Linda
dannysgirl77
by on Apr. 15, 2007 at 12:58 AM
Hey Davina,

I was diagnosed two years ago, after my second child was born. My two sister in laws, and a few friends were trying to have a "biggest looser" contest to see who could loose the most weight. I went to the gym for over an hour a day...ate teh best I have ever eaten. They all lost 30+ pounds in the 6 months we did it for, and I gained 10, and lost 3.

I finally convinced my obgyn to test me for it, because no other doctor would listen to me. I am now on 135mcgs, and everytime I get it checked I usually have to go up a notch.

I was 150lbs at 5"8 and now I am resting right at 210. I have been weight training,and circut training  at Butterfly life gym (like curves) so far I lost about ten pounds and a few inches all over. Drink plenty of water, I know I didn't belive that, but it is true! Also, try not to compare to others, as females we do that naturally, but in our case we just shouldn't. Keep it up I really think it is going to happen if Iam the most persistant this time, now that I know.

Never give up

~Kristen
Adnil
by on Apr. 15, 2007 at 1:16 PM
It's not easy losing weight, especially when you have a thyroid problem or lack of.  Believe me, when we want something bad enough..we will get it. :) You can do it...especially when we have a support group to help us. :)

Linda
davinapittman
by on Apr. 15, 2007 at 11:49 PM
Thanx girls!

busymomonLI
by on Apr. 16, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Hi and welcome to the group!  I have also been told the weight will come off but have lost nothing.  From what I read, it won't happen until your levels are regulated.  If they keep increasing your dose, they obviously haven't gotten you at an acceptable level.  Hoefully once they do, you might have a shot at losing some.  But, I don't think it will happen on its own.  You will need to exercise and eat healthy to help it along.  Good luck!

Linda

MiaCrew
by on Apr. 16, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Hi Davina,

I have the same problem you have I've gained soooo much weight and have been uped on my meds from .10 to .125. Have been on .125 for about a yr now. I did try exercising and lost about 25-30 lbs but can't seem to get down anymore. If you hear of anything please let me know... Thanks, Maria

DaniRose
by on Apr. 16, 2007 at 1:01 PM
Hi,
I have a hypothyroid too. And when I was diagnosed about 5 years ago the doctors put me on meds and upped it every 6 months or so. I am currently on  .175mcg of levothroid and have been up and down on it. They never told me that the weight would just come off. They said it will take lots of work. I am usually at a steady weight. I began at 260 when I was diagnosed and have not been exercising because lack of energy and will power and have gone up to 307 and have been steady at the weight for a few years now. I had joined weight watchers in Jan 2003 and had lost 35 pounds by August 2003 and gained a few of thet back and was at 284 in Feb 2004 when I found out I was pregnant with my first. I had only gained 35 pounds with that pregnancy and have been stuck back at 307 since then. It does get hard having to take the meds and get up and move for me. I have also had another child last year and my doctor that I had upped my meds to .200mcg to have extra thyroid for my baby. He had also put me on a high protien low carb diet so I wouldn't gain a lot and when I had found out I was pregnant I weighed 317 and I was 312 when I had her. So it stays steady for me at least, but need to get my weight down for my self and my children. I know I have babbled more than helping, but I thought I'd share my story and let you know that my doctor never told me the weight would just come off, although I didn't catch mine quickly and gain alot in a short amount of time that I can remember.
jacejenkins
by on Apr. 16, 2007 at 1:27 PM
I have hypothyroidism too. I started out at 90 lbs and when I got pregnant I weighed 149 lbs when I gave birth to my son. But at my six week check up I weighed 115 lbs. Within a year I was 180 lbs. I am now at my highest weight of 220 lbs. I am going to a gym and keeping track of everything I eat and I avoid soy like crazy. My new doctor suggested coconut oil but I haven't tried it yet. I have found that water really helps too. The weight is starting to come off very slowly. I have had alot of doctors who were either just stupid or very mean. I was taken off my meds because one doctor said I didn't have the disease and now I have a goiter. The first doctor I ever went to and told something was very wrong with me because I felt so out of it and I had gained so much weight, he said that I was just looking for an excuse and until I stopped making excuses and did something about my weight myself I would never learn my lesson of how I got so heavy to begin with. I wanted to slap him so bad but I was just too freaking tired. Don't give up on trying to lose weight. Diets don't work but lifestyle changes help you lose weight even if it is slowly. Good Luck!!!
heather72761
by on Apr. 16, 2007 at 3:56 PM
now i have gained about 20 lbs in 3 months im getting scared im beginning to think that regarless of how that fact that i had periods or not that i am pg the way im gaining weight and i will not be to happy if this be the case. . this is scary gaining weight like this and can't take it off . i have NO energy. oh by the way im heather i live in arkansas. im down now that you all are having the same probs as i am. im on 300 mgs a day. im scared now that nothing will work for me. just working round the house gives me severe back pain. i have  to do a lil sit a lil do a lil and so on. help hugs heather
lollimom
by on Apr. 16, 2007 at 11:28 PM

The problem is the muscle aches and lack of energy even with the meds.  Staying active is almost impossible.  Is like choosing to work out or being able to take care of the house and family.

I haven't gained more since my meds, but I graze during the day.  If I eat three regular meals I gain weight.  So basically I usually start with a sugar free meal replacement twice a day, snack on fruit, and have a regular dinner.  Watch your sodium intake.  It should be 1,000 mg or less.  "Sodium is thy enemy"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)