Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long have you had Thyroid problems?

Posted by   + Show Post

When were you first diagnosed? 

What symtoms did you have, if any before you were diagnosed?

I was first diagnosed in 1997 and then I was put on Synthroid. Stopped taking it and then many years later it was checked again ( I didnt have insurance a few years ) and put on Levothyroxine in 2008. 

So far my levels have been in the normal range, when checked every 6 months but the weight gain was not fun. It's weird how I still lose a bit of hair just about every day it seems. 

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:03 PM
Replies (21-25):
BunnyBoo36
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I started with Hyperthyroidism in 2001( really had it before then, Ist diagnosed) Years later I developed hypothyroidism (2012) I have been taking Synthroid every since.

kathrynsmomma03
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:59 AM
I found out in 2007 ... I had been trying to get pg with a second for over 2 years and my obgyn tested me and put me on synthroid I was pg 3 months later but mc then got pg again 4 months after this past year I've been with out inc and just got it back and got put back on my med of gained 40lbs in the last year and again haven't been able to get pg with my 3rd so hopefully soon
busymomma75
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in 2003 after my youngest was born. I had lost soo much weight that I looked sick!! I had to go to the doctors once a week to keep an eye on me. then it switched and went to hypothyroidism, I been in synthroid since 2003 and they have yet to regulate my meds!! I started off on .25 and now I am up to .155!! I even was in the hospital overnight because my heart was going wacky. I can feel the lagging again and know the meds are not working again :( I got for blood tests soon and have an appointment next month. It is very frustrating that they can't get it under control!!

HEAVNLI1
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Hugs... I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in 2007 after being sick for over a year.  It was when I finally dropped 35 lbs July of that year that people started to take me serious.  The tremors, heart plapitations and general fatigue were horrible.  It was actually my dad who had read and article about thyroid disease that prompted me to ask my GP to do a thyroid test.  

I had been so sick for so long at that point that I was hospitalized for the heart palpitations... I tried the anti-thyroid meds and they made me so sick that the doc was concrenred about ly long tem health... so I took the Radioactive Iodine... It all happened so fast becuase I was in real trouble.  

Since then I had been on Synthroid 75 M-F and 88mg on Sundays.  In the aftemath of everything , I have developed aduly onset Ashtma, Fibro, and not Either Celiac or Gluten Intolerance. ( still need the biopsy).  Last fall my GP suggested I go off my gluten free diet to have the scope.  Within a few weeks I was hypo thyroid bigtime. Apparently comsuming the gluten was having an affect on how my body absorbed the Synthroid.

As of today I have been on a roller coaster since that happened.   Going back on the gluten was the worst advice I hve even been given.  Itis so hard to stop eating it again...It is a daily battle and honestly, somtimes i lose.   Right now I am scaling back the Synthroid because my GP thought it would be a good idea to move me on 100mcg in May to get my numbers back up and with a few weeks I was hyper again and having heart plapitations and the lot....

I finally had enough and saw a Endo a couple weeks ago.  I am now back down to 88 mcg per day and awaiting more testing on 08/16.  I am reading everything Mary Shoman has written becuase I am determined to get my life back on track.  I have managed to hold down my full- time mjob the entire time, but it is getting tough.  The fibro is worsening due to my numbers being off and the other symptoms do not allow for much sleep. 

Quoting melaniesmom0683:

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in May of this year. I lost about 50lbs earlier this year which really revealed my overactive thyroid.  My hair started to fall out pretty badly last year and after my huge weight loss I started to have heart palpitations, hot flashes, night sweats, all got damn day sweats, irritability, missed periods and insomnia. Back in May when I was diagnosed I had health insurance through a temp company I worked for at the time, but now I don't have insurance.  

I was put on Methimazole 10Mg and Propranolol 20Mg both I have to take twice a day.  Each month I pay $54 for both prescriptions and now I can't afford to have blood work done every 30 days like I should because I lost my job earlier this month and the health insurance a couple of days after being diagnosed with Graves. I applied for Medi-Cal but of course I haven't gotten a final decision yet as to if I am approved or not yet. I hit rock bottom this week feeling like I should just crawl under a rock and live out my days under it.  My head has been pounding everyday for the past two weeks, with extreme fatigue and tiredness, muscle aches and feeling like I have been straining my muscle every time I go to do anything.  I went to the hospital last night and was told that the symptoms I have been having is not an emergency type situation and they sent me down to East Los Angeles to the county hospital where the wait was 20 hours to see a doctor.  If I would have stayed there last night to see a doctor I still would be there still waiting until later on tonight. My poor husband had to literally carry me out of the ER waiting room because I felt like hopeless and couldn't stop crying.  So Monday I am determined to find a clinic I can go to so that I can at least get some kind of decent care until either Medi-Cal comes through or I can get a job that provides good health insurance.

I am frustrated to no end at this point and I can't function and live my life this way. My husband doesn't understand and he adds to my stress. So I told him he needs to read the literature about Graves Disease because frankly I'm tried of being misunderstood all the time. My poor 5 year old doesn't ask me for anything unless she can't get it herself from the kitchen, she is such a sweet kind little girl but I feel like I am not capable of being the mother she needs.  

Erikadeich
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Hi I'm new to group. I've had thyroid disease since 2009, haven't found a dr in my area to get my thyroids under control. Hoping to get prego once they r back to normal. Symptoms r I'm always outta breath and headaches.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN